First post: Getting a PhD position

S

First post, so please bear with me.

I graduated with a 2:1 Human Biology and Psychology, and then went on to do an Msc Neurogenetics [grade pending]. I spent my time from January to May applying to various PhD positions around the UK in my interested field [Dementia, Schizophrenia etc]. However, I never got past the initial stages.

Normally I wouldn't mind too much, but of all my applications I was only able to get feedback from ONE of them. It drove me round the bloody bend.

For those of you who have successfully applied to, or completed scientific PhD's, what sort of experience and training did you already have? I'm currently stepping back a bit and looking for Research Assistant's roles around the UK, but not having much luck here either.

I'd deeply appreciate any suggestions or insight that you lot could provide into what I might be doing wrong, or what I might be missing from my applications. I have tried looking for common threads and requirements, but the specifics when applying are very scarce, which makes it difficult to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

M

hi,
You might be not doing anything wrong, i too was facing similar troubles. I might have contacted dozens of supervisors out of which 3 replied back. So i would say you do not give up and contact more if you are really keen on pursuing PhD.

But paying attention on how you phrase your email would be helpful, if you sound rude or do not give enough idea about you and your background does affect a supervisors reply. Google how to write to a supervisor...Hope it helps a little..

T

You really need to make sure your CV is up to scratch, that you sound enthusiastic and have relevant experience in the topic. You need to tailor your CV and cover letter for every position, ensuring you mirror the things they are asking for in the application.

I had no practical experience in my field at all, although I had completed the required classes and seemed pretty good on paper. There were four candidates interviewed and I was told I got the position as I was enthusiastic and determined.

S

Mugdha, perhaps you're right.

TreeofLife, thanks for the comments. I have been customising my covering letter/supporting statement and CV for each application, but not very much. Perhaps I should try a more thorough rewrite as needed.

What did you study BTW?

T

My PhD is in Molecular Biology but my MSc was in plant conservation and genetics.

Good luck in your search :)

N

Hi, I feel the same and I'm glad to find this forum. I have sent several emails and very few actually reply me. I got a good GPA (HD) for my master and is looking for a scholarship (funding) for my pursue of PhD.

I will be completing my master in engineering. It is engineering & technology management. Looking at similar discipline in PhD as well.

Any advice from you guys would be appreciated.

Peter