How can I do undergraduate research in Computer Science without guidance from my university?

A

I am a Computer science student in a University in a third world country. Though my University is one of the best in my country, It is nothing close to the standard of Top universities in U.k., U.s.a, Canada and Australia. I plan on applying for a Ph.D. Program in the United states once I am done with my undergraduate studies and after reading a couple of articles online I discovered having undergraduate research experience would be a good way to get into a Top Ph.D. program in the United States. My dilemma is that my school doesn't facilitate such, I have talked to some of my professors and they haven’t really given me any encouraging feedback, so I am literally on my own on this. I have 6 months free time and intend making the best use of it. Is there any way I can go about it or am I screwed? I am heading to my finals and I am interested in either A.I/Machine learning, Algorithms or Compiler construction.

C

Is there any way you could go into industry and volunteer to get relevant experience? It may not be academic but it still looks very good on your CV.

A

I doubt. But i am considering working for a Professor remotely. Do you think is is possible?

M

There is no way you can really speed up things. Can you not apply for an erasmus maybe? Otherwise, I would suggest that you volunteered in industry for a while. Approach organisations, tell them what skills you are offering, and hope for the best.

A

Thanks for your advise. It's very much appreciated.