Is a pursuing a PhD programme a realistic option for me?

C

Hi,

I recently completed my master's in Education and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if pursuing a phd would be a realistic option for me. My final grades were as follows: 70, 65, 51, 65, 74 (this was my dissertation grade so it's worth 2 modules). To sum it up, I have a 67% average (2:1 merit degree) and got a distinction on my dissertation.

T

Your grades are good. You may struggle to get funding (up against people who got distinctions). That is the only potential barrier I can see based on what you've stated. But I know several people who got awarded funding and didn't have an overall distinction.

C

Quote From Tudor_Queen:
Your grades are good. You may struggle to get funding (up against people who got distinctions). That is the only potential barrier I can see based on what you've stated. But I know several people who got awarded funding and didn't have an overall distinction.

Thank you for the response. I just have one other question..how much do your grades from your undergraduate degree matter when it comes to phd programmes?

L

They matter a little, but not as much as the master's. I'm applying for PhDs this year and have been told outright that my 2.1 means I've ranked lower for funding than I otherwise would've, even with a distinction in my MSc. But nothing to be done about it now, so no use worrying about it!

C

Quote From laebae:
They matter a little, but not as much as the master's. I'm applying for PhDs this year and have been told outright that my 2.1 means I've ranked lower for funding than I otherwise would've, even with a distinction in my MSc. But nothing to be done about it now, so no use worrying about it!

Makes sense! Thank you :) Anyone else with some feedback? Also, how much does your dissertation grade strengthen your application?

P

Quote From cmc5223:
Quote From laebae:

Makes sense! Thank you :) Anyone else with some feedback? Also, how much does your dissertation grade strengthen your application?

With a 2:1 you are always at risk of losing out on funding and PhD places regardless of your dissertation result. On the other hand, so few people apply for PhD positions that absolutely loads of people with 2:1 degrees manage to secure a place. Whether you get something you actually want is another matter and you'll only find that out when you start applying.