PhD interview (life sciences) - advice needed

R

I have a PhD Interview coming up (life sciences). I have a 2.2 and a Masters. I normally would say that I have improved since my undergrad and my achievement of a Masters shows my determination to succeed and improve. However, while my first Masters project was a very good grade (high B), my second project was a poor grade (high D).

What I worry about is if I say I have improved since my undergrad, but then the interviewer points to my second project grade. What would I say?

Thanks
Rizzle

F

Well...first question I would ask is what happened with the D? Which is a reasonable one I think.

R

I didn't allocate enough time to write the report/creation of figures. Obviously I know I can fix this with better organisation but I worry that they will think I should have fixed this in my undergrad.

H

Did you get an overall grade for your Masters?

R

I got a qualified only, as opposed to a Masters with Merit or a Masters with Distinction. You would say it was a C. Just missed out on the Merit.

H

I don't know whether the interviewers will have seen your individual module marks. However, the absence of a merit/distinction, along with a 2.2 might make things more challenging for you. It depends on how much competition there is for the PhD.

As you can't do anything to change those grades, I would focus your energy on what you *can* do, namely to prepare well for the interview and ensure that your referees are supportive. In terms of interview prep, be able to talk confidently and clearly about research you have done. They need to be convinced of your ability to deliver a three year project (where success can be as much about project management as intelligence/grades) and your degree marks may be offset by a confidence and convincing performance at interview.

Good luck. :)

R

Thanks for your help Jane, fingers crossed :)