PhD or job offer

M

Dear all

I am just seeking advice regarding my current situation. I have applied for a PhD with very good chances of being accepted as the proposal has been aligned with my potential supervisors.
I want to PhD as I enjoyed the research within my masters dissertation and also after some time in the industry I kind of miss getting involved deeply into a topic and being in control over my own project.
My job doesn’t really allow me to get into topics deeply and also a lot of people keep interfering with my approach.

However I have now received another internal job offer which would probably allow for an increase in salary and also some professional development.

After the PhD I think I also want to get back into the industry - however I’d like to work into strategy or research departments so the PhD shouldn’t be too much of a „barrier“ to return to industry.

I am just looking for some opinions here - would you stay with the PhD and look for a job in industry after (I have about 4 years industry experience) it would you seriously consider to stay in industry potentially regretting not taking he PhD choice when it appeared?

What might be an important information: I know my supervisors from my masters and know that we have a good and fruitful working relationship.

Looking forward to some thoughts.

T

If it is the industry you are after, does the internal job help you progress towards that goal? If yes, perhaps take the job over the PhD.

Considering that you are not wanting to get into academia, having a PhD is not necessary for your career. Some companies sponsor PhD for their employees too as part of prof dev, but only after a few years of work so you don't have to completely rule it out.

M

Thanks for your comment.

The thing is content wise I think the PhD would bring nebeliger to my „dream job“ even in the industry than the current position I have been offered.

The position is good prestige-wise and also from a salary perspective but not really where I see myself working in the long run.

The PhD might provide the chance to build expertise in the industry area I want to work in (it’s in Management but a growing field of relevance there) - so I can justify taking the step out of industry by arguing it was to gain expertise in this growing field.

Not sure of that’s good enough but I somehow have that urge to do the PhD just afraid I’ll regret it in 3 years time if I don’t find a relevant job afterwards.

C

My personal story (your milage may vary)

I had both when I graduated. I took the job offer because it was a permanent contract at a relevant job that interested me. After 6 months I regretted not doing the PhD though, the job had zero "research" components in and I just did the same day in day out while the PhDs in our department got all the actual research (which added to that regret). I started applying to PhDs again and left after 2 years in industry. The thing I didn't expect is being very glad of those 2 years during my PhD. My boredom in that job was a great motivator but the things I learnt there like planning and delivering a project to time etc were invaluable.

I would certainly advise people in a similar position to seriously consider the job in industry as the skills you develop will be invaluable if you decide to go back to a PhD. The industry experience is also a bonus on PhD and job applications afterwards. The big downside to that though is you will be starting your career later by having deferred starting your PhD.

C

My personal story (your milage may vary)

I had both when I graduated. I took the job offer because it was a permanent contract at a relevant job that interested me. After 6 months I regretted not doing the PhD though, the job had zero "research" components in and I just did the same day in day out while the PhDs in our department got all the actual research (which added to that regret). I started applying to PhDs again and left after 2 years in industry. The thing I didn't expect is being very glad of those 2 years during my PhD. My boredom in that job was a great motivator but the things I learnt there like planning and delivering a project to time etc were invaluable.

I would certainly advise people in a similar position to seriously consider the job in industry as the skills you develop will be invaluable if you decide to go back to a PhD. The industry experience is also a bonus on PhD and job applications afterwards. The big downside to that though is you will be starting your career later by having deferred starting your PhD.

M

That sounds like my story - I’m in the industry 3 years now. I am now at a point to decide between finally doing that PhD or go for another job in the industry.

Actually you’re story helps a great deal as this is what I had hoped - that the industry experience will motivate me greatly with regards to the PhD. One because I now really know that I want this place and secondly because I have learned in industry to deliver on deadlines and work under pressure. During dark days of the PhD it might also be helpful to know that the grass isn’t that much greener on the other site ;)

E

Hi. I had a different experience but I would like to share it. It might help. I had a stable well paid job for six year but it did not include the research and development I wanted to do. So I left my job applied for Master and started in a new career field after 10 years of Bachelor graduation. After working for academia for 2 years I get a PhD position. I spent 5 years in RA role while doing PhD at same time but the PhD part did not work well. Now I am back in industry after 9 years of study and RA roles in academia. But now I do "partially" something I like. I do some research and development. I am much satisfied than I was 10 years ago.
My advice. Follow your passion. The industry will always be there. If you spend 4 years doing a PhD and then returned to industry even with the same salary you have now, but with different position which allows some research, you are a winner. In my opinion, 5 years industry + PhD is ways better than 10 years industry.