PhD research proposal writing

C

I am a Msc student that is currently looking for an opportunity to pursue PhD in bioinformatic/biotechnology field. From what I've researched to apply PhD, I never found one article that really explain the whole process (or yet).

I am really confused by the process of preparing research proposal. Does potential supervisor/university would like to know the specific title of our proposed research or specific area/topic that we are interested in? Or does it depends on the supervisor?

I would like to get some tips about this.

T

Where are you applying to? Most UK PhDs in the area will be advertised ones, like on findaphd.com. It's unusual to write your own proposal unless you have your own funding.

C

Quote From TreeofLife:
Where are you applying to? Most UK PhDs in the area will be advertised ones, like on findaphd.com. It's unusual to write your own proposal unless you have your own funding.

Just to add, this may be true of STEM subjects, but in the arts, humanities and social sciences, there are very few advertised projects. Most of the funded places in these fields come from AHRC and ESRC funded DTPs, and the research proposal is a very important part of the application process.

T

Fair enough Chaotic, but the OP did say they were looking in the STEM area.

C

Quote From TreeofLife:
Fair enough Chaotic, but the OP did say they were looking in the STEM area.

I Know...I am just jealous of you lot up to your necks in money over at STEM...:)

A

It depends on University you are applying for. Research proposal comes once you get into Phd admission. However during interview and all they might asked why it interest you and do you have any topics in your mind?