Should I hide this year for my new application?

S

I posted a thread about reapplying a new phd after failing my first one as the subject interest didn't work with me with my supervisors. Now I really need to apply a new and start fresh.

The problem is should I ever mention this year of failure in my CV. If I hide it, would the new university know I failed the first one? What should I do maximize my chance of getting another phd and start fresh? Thank you

T

How exactly would you hide this year in your CV? Have you been doing anything else in this year i.e a part time job? In general, your CV should state everything you've been doing in at least the most recent years of your life. Leaving a year conveniently missing may cause the interviewers to question exactly what happened in that year and might force you to explain the failed PhD in the interview itself, which might make it seem like you were purposefully trying to lie/be dishonest with them, which never goes down well.

S

Quote From thedrosophilist:
How exactly would you hide this year in your CV? Have you been doing anything else in this year i.e a part time job? In general, your CV should state everything you've been doing in at least the most recent years of your life. Leaving a year conveniently missing may cause the interviewers to question exactly what happened in that year and might force you to explain the failed PhD in the interview itself, which might make it seem like you were purposefully trying to lie/be dishonest with them, which never goes down well.

This sounds tragic. The formal university asked me to withdraw to get a cleaner record, but withdraw would hurt my chance of reapplying a new visa. If I let the termination takes its course, then I am worried it could hurt my new application. What should I put in my CV...I am really depressed.

T

If withdrawing gets you a cleaner record, i guess then do it. I can't say I'm an expert in any of this, so please don't take anything i say as written in stone. I think a good option for you may be to maybe take a year or two away from PhD and maybe complete a short course- maybe do an MRes etc? It depends on which country you're applying from. Maybe showing you have done something and succeeded after the failed PhD will lift your chances rather than trying to go into another PhD outright. Again, i hope someone else answers this thread as well because I'm not sure what to do in your situation. But don't get depressed- things will get better!

S

Quote From thedrosophilist:
If withdrawing gets you a cleaner record, i guess then do it. I can't say I'm an expert in any of this, so please don't take anything i say as written in stone. I think a good option for you may be to maybe take a year or two away from PhD and maybe complete a short course- maybe do an MRes etc? It depends on which country you're applying from. Maybe showing you have done something and succeeded after the failed PhD will lift your chances rather than trying to go into another PhD outright. Again, i hope someone else answers this thread as well because I'm not sure what to do in your situation. But don't get depressed- things will get better!

Thanks very much, my case is that I can't do another lower level course because of visa. Do you think if I put as postgraduate researcher as that gap? If they ask i would say the original subject interest didn't work out. And I am starting off a new project now, I am self funded Btw

T

Hi, if you are self funded, it should be relatively easy to find another department to take you on without asking too many questions.

I wouldn't put 'post grad researcher' in your CV though because that's obviously ambiguous and a possible euphemism for "I started a PhD and it didn't work out'. Depending on your integrity/desperation, you are better off just making up something to fill the gap (maybe by extending the dates of a previous job/degree), or maybe not mentioning you were even in the country and saying you were working in home country since they are highly unlikely to check references then anyway.

But... I'm going to be blunt: you saying 'the original subject interest didn't work out' or that you didn't see eye to eye with your supervisors is a cop out. These things are irrelevant in research. No-one cares whether you like your subject or get on with your supervisors, or agree with their opinions. You should still be able to a PhD with these issues - many PhD students have them. No-one is going to take a student who tells them this was the situation in their previous position and this was the reason they failed.

You need to work out the REAL reasons you failed your MPhil, because if you don't identify, accept and deal with these reasons, then you are likely to have another failure.

S

Quote From TreeofLife:
Hi, if you are self funded, it should be relatively easy to find another department to take you on without asking too many questions.

I wouldn't put 'post grad researcher' in your CV though because that's obviously ambiguous and a possible euphemism for "I started a PhD and it didn't work out'. Depending on your integrity/desperation, you are better off just making up something to fill the gap (maybe by extending the dates of a previous job/degree), or maybe not mentioning you were even in the country and saying you were working in home country since they are highly unlikely to check references then anyway.

But... I'm going to be blunt: you saying 'the original subject interest didn't work out' or that you didn't see eye to eye with your supervisors is a cop out. These things are irrelevant in research. No-one cares whether you like your subject or get on with your supervisors, or agree with their opinions. You should still be able to a PhD with these issues - many PhD students have them. No-one is going to take a student who tells them this was the situation in their previous position and this was the reason they failed.

You need to work out the REAL reasons you failed your MPhil, because if you don't identify, accept and deal with these reasons, then you are likely to have another failure.

I am extremely thankful for your opinion! Much appreciate it,the only problem is when the new uni help me to renew the visa, then they might know the immigration state, or may I be honest? Does it hurt too much

T

How long have you got left on your visa? If you withdrawal/fail, will they tell immigration?

T

If you're self-funded, then I agree with TreeOfLife. Its a lot easier for self-funded students, and they probably won't ask as many questions. After a year or two, that one year won't seem as big a deal as before but yup, maybe for now just hide it by extending the date of what you did before it etc.

But, like TreeOfLife said, have a long good think about what went wrong in your Mphil, because if you want to do well in this one, you need to know what went wrong before, so it won't happen again.

T

I think you need to tell us some basic background information like; status of funding ( whether self funded or on scholarship), duration of your visa and country where you're pursuing your PhD.

Assuming you're studying in the UK, I am pretty sure you were given a four year visa, that's the standard for Tier 4. Having already spent a year, it means you have 3 years left. But the UK Border Agency (UKBA) rules state that when you change universities, your current visa automatically becomes invalid. You will need to obtain a new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from your new university and depending on your subject area, you may require to apply for Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS).

To comply with the UKBA policy, universities are required to monitor the Non-EU students' attendance. Students are required to sign-in with their university fortnightly. You must be aware that in order for your current university to keep their UKBA sponsorship, they're mandated to report you to UKBA once the withdraw/termination of your studies is formalised. Once that's done, in the eyes of the UKBA, you will have no right to remain in the UK.