EU Fast-track PhD in Water Treatment?

W

Thanks for you to click in.

I'm an final year chemistry major undergraduate student in Mainland China, and seeking for possible PhD position focus on water treatment field research. I'm clearly understand that is impossible to apply for a PhD position in EU without an available Master degree. But I still treat EU's PhD opportunity as my priority. And I'm seeking for a possible Fast-track PhD positions, which provide students without Master position a hopeness to join PhD program after get bachelors.

However, I haven't found one in past 3 monthes, may be this was caused by I'm unfamiliar with EU institutions or universities' website (different from US). So, I'm here seeking for some kind helps.

I have publications in water treatment (Top Journal, 1st author), and 3.7/4.0 GPA. I also have patents (Granted) and international conference poster presentation experience. I have more than three recommendation letters available. Additionally, I have TOEFL and GRE scores.

Hope kind people could offer me some helps.

Hi Wou,

I am currently doing an engineering PhD in a field related to water management (waste management) and have been to a few related conferences. I can safely say there is a lot of ongoing research in water management and there should be an abundance of water treatment related PhDs. In the UK I have seen a few integrated masters but they are rare. Although, getting a PhD in the UK without a masters is common and I think you could apply to normal PhDs if you can justify that you are suitable.

B

In the EU I think you are going to struggle. There is an expectation that you don't skip the Masters training because of the Bologna system (3 yrs Bachelor 2 years Masters 3 year PhD). Countries like France and Germany are not known to be flexible on this. The only EU state that I think allows you to go from Bachelor to PhD is Ireland (and that might not be everywhere). As Rewt says the UK, while not in the EU, allows it for some sciences still.