MA in History worth it?

A

I was awarded a (high) 2.2 degree from Edinburgh Uni, with some high marks, especially in my dissertation. My exam results hinder my overall grades! (From high 2.1 assignment marks). Ever since my undergrad, I had a desire to complete a Masters in History, and maybe a PhD. I currently have an offer to study on the MA History course. I started to get cold feet about doing it now. Is it true an MA in History will not prove new graduate with at no additional edge when finding a job, and will be almost completely unless?.

Any advice!?!?...

P

Honestly - most masters are of limited value to the jobs market, unless you're going to go into academia. There are exceptions of course, where some professions require a masters (such as psychology) ...

P

Unless you want to be a historian then I don't think an MA in history will help you much. And unfortunately with a 2:2 you have very little chance of getting onto a PhD course after the MA.

P

That's not to say you shouldn't do it, if you have an interest and want to do it. But don't count on it getting you a job.

P

Should also say if you get a really good MA from Oxford cum laude or something, that could help to boost your 2:2 and stand you out in the jobs market, but you'd still struggle to get on a PhD I think.

E

I agree that MA in history in not a popular choice but that doesn't mean that you should discard the course. If you are really interested in MA History, I believe you should do it. It might be slim pickings in terms of job scenario, but that doesn't mean you wont find jobs. Believe in your dreams and take the leap of faith.

A

Quote From Ethan_Miller:
I agree that MA in history in not a popular choice but that doesn't mean that you should discard the course. If you are really interested in MA History, I believe you should do it. It might be slim pickings in terms of job scenario, but that doesn't mean you wont find jobs. Believe in your dreams and take the leap of faith.

I just wonder, if I was successful in gaining a high merit at Masters would it be enough to get onto a PhD in History?. Or would I need to do another MA?.

A

Quote From pd1598:
Unless you want to be a historian then I don't think an MA in history will help you much. And unfortunately with a 2:2 you have very little chance of getting onto a PhD course after the MA.

Are you even a postgrad student?. I've read over your some of your previous posts'. You come across as quite negative to other members. Also, for future reference please write one comment, instead of three separate comments of two lines each, after one another; as you come across as stupid.

T

Quote From al29101:
Quote From pd1598:

Are you even a postgrad student?. I've read over your some of your previous posts'. You come across as quite negative to other members. Also, for future reference please write one comment, instead of three separate comments of two lines each, after one another; as you come across as stupid.

And you, on the other hand, come across as wonderfully charming in this post. I don't believe you have the authority to dictate how people comment on this forum.

I suspect whether you have a MA or not will make absolutely no difference to your future career.

P

Someone didn't like my honest answers, Mr/s 2:2. And I don't know why I can only write two line answers that's all this site will let me do, bugs me too.

C

Quote From pd1598:
Someone didn't like my honest answers, Mr/s 2:2. And I don't know why I can only write two line answers that's all this site will let me do, bugs me too.

Slightly off-topic here, but I had that two line restriction when I was using Internet Explorer, and it's fine with another browser - probably some compatibility issue.

A

To answer the OP, an MA will only help you in the job market if it is relevant. Will a 2:2 hold you back getting on to a PhD? Not if you get a good MA score.

I am sort of going to contradict myself here, at senior level, in business, at the very least a BSc is expected (ideally higher), but a BSc will not get you a job. Look at exec board details of companies to see qualifications.

A

Hi Guys,

Thank you for alerting us to the two line per post issue, we will look into this problem and see what we can do to resolve this…

Also, can we please keep the posts supportive and light-hearted! The purpose of the forum is for individuals to share their feelings, troubles or successes and for other individuals to offer constructive and positive advice.

Thank you

Abi

F

Have you thought about a professional masters in history? For instance an MA in heritage management, archives, museum studies (Leicester uni famous for this), conservation, art history, architectural history etc. If you do well on these courses you can still apply for PhDs, yet you also have a degree that will make you more employable.

I

Do you love history? Do you read history books for fun, do you go to history talks and lectures? Do you volunteer with a local history group? Have you been researching a history project of your own, however small? If you really enjoy history, and want to study it further, then think seriously about the MA. You might have to think long and hard about how you are going to finance it, and how much time it would take up if you have to do it part-time alongside other work. But if you love your subject, how would you feel if you didn't do it?

It's very unlikely to get you a job by itself, but it could look good on your CV, if nothing else it will show potential employers that you have the committment to undertake a fairly extended course of study.

Some people do a Masters, and that's it - they've had enough of studying. Others (and I was one of these) love the studying so much they want to go on and do a PhD. So you might find the MA is enough by the end, or you might want to carry on.