PhD after years out of study, too late?

C

Hi
I graduated 3 years ago with a first in Physics and Meteorology. At the time I was considering going straight into a PhD but decided I wanted a break from study and to work first. I have now spent the last 3 years working as a Meteorologist and travelling around the world. I'm now back in the UK and realise my real passion lies in climate research and science but am now worried that I won't be accepted into a PhD because of my years out of study and without a masters. As it's too late to apply for anything this year, I will have to go back to work in forecasting even though it's not what I want to do anymore and feels unrewarding to me.

I don't regret the last 3 years as I've improved my confidence and gained good experience but feel like I'm starting to lose touch with my passion and don't want to feel like I'm wasting my time. Was just looking for some advice as I feel like the only thing I can do now is wait it out until applications open. Do you think this is a reasonable decision or that I will have to go through another year and do a masters?

Thanks for the advice

M

I applied to do a PhD, in 2010 after graduating with an degree in 1996. i went straight to PhD (not via a Masters), although I was originally registered as an MSc student. A lot will depend on the Uni you apply to , you may well have to submit an upgrade report after your first year to transfer onto a PhD, i was given the choice of either completing an MSc and then starting a PhD or forego the MSc qualification and transfer straight on to a PhD. I finished at the beginning of the year and graduated last month. It can be done, I would have a chat with the Uni you were interested in

Max

P

The gap shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't have thought that you would need a Masters either unless all the positions you want are being targetted by those who have one.
Also, there is no reason to wait until next year.
Start looking and applying now.

S

Hi,
It is impressive that you want to pursue your dreams and want to get a doctorate. My suggestion would be for you to write to university professors whom you would like to work under, for your Ph.D. Discuss your situation with them and take suggestions . I am sure they will be able to guide you accordingly. It may even direct you to different opportunities which you were unaware of. All the best! for your future endeavors.