PhD suggestion

K

I actually have done Bachelors in mechanical engg and Masters in Cad/ Cam. Have 4 yrs of industrial experience and 2years of teaching experience. A lil of research experience in my masters for 1year as a junior research fellow. Everything is from India including studies. Now am in UK as a dependant. I observed that for international students, there are very less fully funded projects. Am looking to pursue Ph.D. But am afraid if I really will be offered any. Wanted to go with consultancy as I dont know much about universities in London, they have given a quotation of 1500£ which is not affordable and they dont even promise of a completely funded seat. "Findaphd.com" website was helpful. Any more sites through which we can apply?

E

Hello. Unfortunately the competition is very high for non EU students. One way is to try to search for a PhD studentship that accepts non EU students but pays tuition for EU/Home fees and pays a living stipend. This means for example you have to pay 13000 GBP and you get around 3000 Home/Eu and stipend around 13000 so you end up with an annual 3000 which I suppose is fine as your partner is getting a salary.
Meanwhile, I strongly recommend to contact potential PhD supervisors in universities close to your living place and ask them for volunteering research jobs. This will add to your CV and if he/she is happy with your performance, he/she might find fund for you to do a PhD or hire you as a research assistant.

K

Thank you for your suggestion, it helps me a lot. I have been looking and applying for fully funded with stipend research works only as I dont want to take risk with insufficient budgets. Yes, its very true that competition is very high for non EU students. Thats where I am afraid about getting any replies. Meanwhile, instead of being idle, am planning to work in some university or college as a lecturer, part time or somethibg like that, so that I will get to know some supervisors or someone who can help. But as you said I did not think in research direction so far. Thats seems a good idea, but how can I apply? Is there any portal where it calls out for JRFs(Junior research fellow)?

E

You can google of course but I have a different opinion about applying. Everyone googles and if there is a position, again the competition is high. If you send an email or maybe a paper letter to a supervisor offering him that you can work voluntarily with no salary for an initial period (let us say 3-6 months), you would more likely get a reply and there is a good chance that you receive a positive reply. You might think I want to get a paid position but in my opinion getting a foot in academia is worthy.

K

Yes, because of your valuable suggestion my mind started thinking in a different angle. Am Trying for Ph.D. really hard. Hoping to get it atleast an year down the line. Parallely, will keep up with research under a supervisor or will step into academics so as to develop few contacts. Thank you so much.