Advice ! What to do next ? Looking for a funded PhD

L

Hi guys !!
I'm Marina, from Greece and I really need your advice as I'm new at this !
I 'm at the last year in university and I 'm trying to figure out what to do next..
I study Molecular Biology and Genetics and Pharmacology,Neuroscience, Metabolism or Criminology would be ideal fields to be a part of...
I 've searched about scolarships, but if I can't get one I 'd like to find a funded PhD . In US I think you can go straight for a PhD, compared to UK.
Correct me if I'm wrong !
:-)

W

Hi Lamare, what a broad range of research interests you have. Generally, as long as you have the equivalent of an undergraduate degree with a classification that matches a 2.1 in the UK, then you will eligible to apply for a funded PhD in the UK (provided that the funding is open to applicants from the EU - it often is). www.findaphd.com is as good a place as any to track down potentially suitable funded PhD projects. Good luck with your search.

L

Thank you very much for your reply !
You know... The end is near , so I'm a bit stressed right now...
I think I'll wait to finish my exams [I'm taking a Radiobiology exam today :-) ] and then I 'm going to look up to findaphd.com
.It's just I don't know how things work ... Scholarships, applications, GRE tests ...So many things, so little time ...
I 'll be back to ask for your piece if advice as soon as I finish my obligations !
Thanks again ... ;-)

M

EU students are only eligible for fees-only studentships from the research councils, afaik. University offered studentships (not funded by the research councils) might cover both for home/EU students, but check the details of any advertised studentships.

S

Why dont you go for EU funded PhD programs like Marie curie programs, Early stage researchers, etc. THey pay u well and the projects are also good. It will give u international exposure also. U may see some offers in http://scholarships4phd.blogspot.com/

Q

Quote From mothy:

EU students are only eligible for fees-only studentships from the research councils, afaik.

Under certain circumstances, as well EU nationals are eligible for the whole studentship. The "easiest" requirement is to have lived already 3 years in the UK prior the start of the course.

L

Thank you guys for your reply !!
I thought that PhD in EU, are not funded and you must pay some tuition fees.
I haven't heard about Marie Curie's programme , but I 'm willing to learn some more..
Are there any exams that I should take ,in order to get such a studentship ?
As soon as I 'm done with a presentation I'm up to , I 'll take a look at the blog you 've sent me !!
Thanks again !!

J

in the uk as people mentioned before, although it's not impossible, it is quite difficult to find a funded phd if you don't fulfill the three year residency requirement, coz most research council scholarships have this as a prerequisite. Maybe you would like to apply to other european countries too such as sweden, germany,switzerland. You can find institutes that have really high research level at the areas of your interest.
Additionally, in the US maybe you can work directly as a PhD student without a master but the whole PhD in the US often lasts much more than a PhD in the UK which could last 3-4 years.

L

Quote From joanna:

Additionally, in the US maybe you can work directly as a PhD student without a master but the whole PhD in the US often lasts much more than a PhD in the UK which could last 3-4 years.

I know about USA Joanna. Thank you for your interest. I 've already searched for a PhD in America and the average-in order to take your PhD- is 5.5 years.
My professors and supervisors recommend America , as it is better in culture and research .
I'm trying to listen different opinions ,and then I 'll figure out what to do..
Are you all current PhD students ? 8-)