Breaking down the costs of self-funding a phd

D

Hi Everyone,

As a prospective self-funding PhD student in Psychology, I am looking for anyone who is already self-funding a PhD. I have attempted to add up all the costs of the 'actual research itself' and think that I have done a good job.

Before I present this information to my potential co-supervisors, I was wondering if anyone has an example of how they broke down their research costs in detail. I know that costs vary greatly, but it would really help.

I think that I have done okay, but I don't want to present something unrealistic.

Thanks

B

Hey, I'm not self funding, but I can imagine that it might help to know what subject you do.

S

It varies quite considerably according to the project. Some costs are easily calculated - living costs, fees, a book budget, conference travel etc., but the biggest variable is fieldwork. This is where you should concentrate your effort by getting ballpark figures for what you think these costs might be. If you know these, then you can impressive your prospective supervisor with your professioanlism.

S

..just a pity I can't type the word correctly. Some would say it was Freudian slip.

D

Thanks Sylvester, I think I have already done this so there should be no problems. 'Professionalism' is not one of the easiest words to spell (neither is dyslexia apparently, very ironic).

B

DanB - Jeeze, you're right, I think I've gone crazy!

A

The best approach would be to breakdown all expenses to different categories; essential (housing, bills, fees etc.) and non-essential (travel, mobile, production costs etc). You can then present this to your supervisor and as a type of business plan for funding applications.

Take a look at the Postgraduate Research Handbook (ISBN: 0-333-74777-1) which should help you outline your research methodologies - once you've outlined these and discussed them with your supervisor you can estimate costs and contingencies.

Get yourself to your local postgraduate fair (there are plenty coming up in the next couple of months) for further advice. Also, any good university careers service will have a contact you could liaise with.

And finally, good luck and be positive

M

I just don't understand how self-funding is possible. Can someone explain how it is?

J

It's not impossible. If you work at least 3 days per week you can earn enough to support yourself, and pay part-time tuition fees (which are usually around 700 quid/year). Then expect your Ph.D. to take about 6-7 years.

The record at our university is 12 years to complete.

Y

Forgive my ignorance, but are you going to get a private loan? If you are hats off to you and good luck!