esrc priority areas

E

I was thinking of applying for phd post doc funding - my topic doesn't exactly fit their priority areas this year (economics, social work among others). Does 'priority area' mean that you *only* get funding in those areas - or that you stand a better chance if you do, but other areas are also considered? - any comments on this or just what to do after a phd in general would be gratefully received!

Z

Well a friend of mine secured an ESRC post-doc last year, and her area wasn't a 'priority' area, which i guess proves that its possible!

E

What are all of the priority areas for this year for ESRC or where could I find them?

Thanks

E

here's the info re. priority areas:

"The scheme is open to all disciplines. However during 2008 ESRC is specifically encouraging applications in a number of disciplines identified as having particular capacity building difficulties. These are Economics, Education, Management and Business Studies, Advanced Quantitative Methods, Social Work, and Socio-Legal Studies."

it's taken from this site:

http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/opportunities/earlycareer/postdocfellowships/index.aspx

and thanks zelda for mentioning your friend - so there is hope!

emily

E

thanks for that - tho i think i would be applying for a different award if i get teh chance so not sure if that's the same areas or not!