European funding in UK

G

Hi,
I am a currently looking for a funded PhD in UK after doing a one year M.Sc. in UK. I am a European citizen and currently back to my home country to apply for a PhD. I am very surprised that most European funded PhDs if not all are only available for students who lived in UK for over 3 year, which is kind of unfair. Is there a loop hole through which one can get a funding even though he is not a UK resident? The other choices which are available are highly competitive since they are open to students of all nationality.
Btw I am a graduated in the biomedical field, a looking for a PhD in microbiology and molecular biology.

Thanks for your help

B

George - I think you're confused here between UK research council funding and European Union funding - there are different rules. The studentships funded by UK research councils (NOT European Union money but UK) offer full funding (fees + stipend) for UK/EU students who have lived here for more than three years, and fees only for UK/EU citizens who do not meet that residence requirement. There is no loophole - it seems reasonable enough to concentrate limited funding on people who (regardless of nationality) have made some sort of commitment to the UK. There is also some funding available through EU-funded projects - it's often advertised as Marie Curie funding - but they are intended to encourage European mobility so you are normally not eligible if you have spent more that 12 months in the last four years in the host country or are a citizen of that state. Finally, there are as you say other scholarships that are open to all.