Phd in USA

S

I have done my M.Sc in biomedical technology from India and i want to pursue my Phd from USA universities. please help me on this

T

How would you like us to help?

S

i mean how can i get funds and what requirements i have to met to get selected there?

S

pleasse help me on this

G

This is primarily a UK based forum. You are therefore unlikely to get much constructive help re US funding. That said I would have thought some concerted effort on Google would have produced something. Have you tried that?

A

Why don't you pick some universities and ring them and ask, they may have some ideas on the matter.

H

I guess u have made a good choice of studying in USA since its actually the best country for persuing higher education as their system is quite compatable and less pressurizing as compared to the european system of education. U shud type top universities in USA on google and once u get the list go on each university´s website and look for the desired course, once u reach click on the faculty and see which teachers are available with their specialized fields and likewise contact them.

Also look into Canada i wud say....

Good Luck!!

K

You have to apply to the university's graduate system itself plus most likely take the GRE which is the graduate entrance exam. The funding for a PhD 9/10 comes from the university/ research group not individual funding to the person. Also most universitys like for you to enroll as a grad student which involves coursework and classes usualy equating to about 5(like no one graduates in this time) to the average of 7 years all said and done.

S

Konic, is it true that a phD in the US takes 7 years on average? The UK system might be too short-- just three or four years. But in regards to funding, the US academic world is a looooot better than the UK one.

K

Yeh, thats around what most people take. It usually includes a masters in with the PhD. As for funding, more people can get funding, but also more people drop out. The grad students over there tend to get less funding tho at least compared to what the BBSRC. Many get less than poverty level, livable as a student but not good. Not sure about other aspects of academic funding but I'm sure your right!

L

The most difficult thing is obtaining funding!!! as usual. money is the key of success. Start to send e-mails to all the professsors you'd like as supervisors, attaching your cv and a brief letter about your previuos work and future interests. If they are interested in you they will invite you to apply for a position. If they want you they will pay you.
However consider that thousands of people apply each year for a Ph.D. in the USA, from all over the world. On the other hand you should start to search for funding on internet (ex. look for bilatheral agreement between your country and usa). If you apply with full or partial funding is more easy to be accepted.
For Europeans is more easy to find funding in Europe! Consider that this year has been released the FP7 from the european union and the first projects will be approved in september, may be.
Anyway, if you want one thing try and try!
Good luck.

L

Well, I am in my third year PhD. in USA, crying everyday of my life, haha, I know not so funny
1)choose a set of universities and start looking into what needs to be done to apply in those universities, 2)be clear of your topic of interest and keep an electronic copy of the stuff you have written or published, 3)After getting accepted in a bunch of universities, browse through their department for contacting appropriate professors, also browse through their biographies so that you know what kind of research they do and funding available, 4)contact those professors through email that you are interested in so and so topic and this is your published work and also interested in pursuing Phd. Also you need to have an admission letter for that university before contacting a Prof
I think this should do it, Good Luck! Usually there is no problem with funding here at all, only if you are in the right university, haha
Saha

S

thank you very much for all ur suggestions. bt plz tell me one thing wat about the stipend? do we get stipend in our hands or is it goes to the university?

S

LUPlanning, do you mean that consideration of PhD application is concurrent with consideration of funding, with most of the US unis? If they can offer you a place to study, does it mean the same thing re funding? Anyway, money is the key, luigi, you can say that again!