Please help i'm lost in the maze called 'funding'....

H

======= Date Modified 22 Aug 2012 21:56:40 =======
Hi all, I have literally just completed my Masters and have been offered a place at University Campus Suffolk to study at PhD level, all great except there seems to be no funding....I want to study the notion of tradition in terms of West African Music and Dance. I cant believe that there is no funding anywhere for this. I ideally would like to find my fees anything else would be a bonus. Also I think I need to apply to study in Gambia/senegal etc too even if only for a few months. Can anyone please advise me where I may get funding from? I am a UK citizen. argh....going mad here!:-s

R

Hi Hellybells, the info in this link may be useful to you, including the FindAPhD Scholarships scheme, UK Research Council & AHRB Studentships, and UK Research Charities:

http://www.findaphd.com/student/funding/funding-1.asp

S

Quote From hellybells:

======= Date Modified 22 Aug 2012 21:56:40 =======
I want to study the notion of tradition in terms of West African Music and Dance. I cant believe that there is no funding anywhere for this.

You're joking, right? Why would there be funding?

R

I was offered funding in April for a PhD in Victorian history that I'm beginning in September, so funding is out there. However, I didn't have an expectation of funding; had I not gone funding I would have faced the 'real world', and delegated my interest in Victorian history as a hobby.

I don't mean to offend you, but it sounds like you are really expecting funding, which just isn't realistic in this economic climate. If funding does come along then that's wonderful, but it isn't something you can count on. The volume of PhD applicants that there now is means competition is fierce, and niche topics like your own are likely to be pushed to the back of the funding queue.

B

The relevant funding body would be the AHRC I think. (Unless you're an anthropologist in which case it's the ESRC). Obviously, you've missed the deadlines by a long way for this academic year, but I would suggest checking whether your institution has been allocated any AHRC funding for the following year for your subject area. If so, ask your prospective supervisor how competitive a candidate you would be. If not also ask your prospective supervisor how others have funded their work. The likelihood is though that like most arts and humanities PhD students, you will have to self-fund as there are far more people wanting to do PhDs in this area than the government is prepared to fund. Self-funding is a massive commitment especially as unless you're wealthy or have a well-salaried partner, it generally means part-time study. Think too about the career prospects and be aware that the academic job market is dire, particularly in areas where undergrads are looking doubtful about paying the higher fees to study.