Starting a PhD - only if I get funding!

I

Hi there,

I am an EU national, living in the UK since 2004. I would like to apply for a PhD in a topic related to Graphic novels (I already have a BA and a Mres in classics and English). However, I cannot self-fund my potential PhD and looking for funding.

I have prepared a research proposal and aim to email it to a few potential supervisors in UK universities next week.

However, should I be realistic on my email to the supervisors and (when I send them the proposal) say that I cannot afford to do this PhD unless funding is provided?

This means that I can apply for the PhD, but only accept to start it if funding is provided with it. How should I proceed?

Thanks

Isabelle

I

Actually, the proposal is already written, and a friend, who is a lecturer, thought that I have done a very good job. It is only the 'funding issue' that I am concerned with.

M

You could informally discuss the issue with the potential supervisors. I should think that if they are interested, then you increase your chances to get funding. You don't want to end up in a situation that you start a PhD when you cannot afford it.

Mara Sp.

L

When are you hoping to start??

I think the first task is to get the green light from potential supervisors, they you will have to formally apply. On the application form (UK PhDs), you will be asked how you will fund it and if you are looking for funding, to confirm what funding applications you are making. Each uni should have info on funding applications, etc., unless you are applying to a programme with funding already secured. I think it is entirely your choice as to what you tell potential supervisors re funding, but it will be explicit on you formal application, either way. Although I'm sure you're already aware AHRC open funding, Uni scholarship competitions, etc usually open in the Autumn and are decided early Spring. A few carry on later, but not many...

Good luck.