Waiting for AHRC news

M

Just wondered if anyone has heard from the AHRC yet re PhD funding? I know it's a little early but I was told that last year successful candidates started to hear at the end of July and we're getting that way now... However, when I failed to get MA funding last year that news came very late, though I was lucky that not getting funding wasn't going to prohibit me going ahead with the course. I also heard they get sent out subject by subject, so specifically I'd be interested if anyone else is waiting for Classics. It's so infuriating not knowing: my partner and I need to find a flat but it's impossible without knowing whether we're going to have just his salary or indeed what I'll be doing if I don't get funding. Trying not to make that decision until I actually have to...!

E

No. Not yet. I wouldn't expect to until, say, mid-August at the earliest. I don't know if there is any logic in the order replies are sent out.

Not expecting it. I was rejected last year with a grade 3. This year, the process has become worse. Four of us from the entire dept. were allowed to apply. Two of those did better than me in some areas. But then, I have the better undergrad degree. Our distinctions differ by about one point, but these sorts of things might make a difference this year.

I'll be glad when it's over. If I'm rejected this year, I can't apply again. And not going through the process will be a relief.

M

No I can't say I'm really expecting it either, but there seems to be a lot of luck involved by all accounts. I agree that the system this year has been a bit of a nightmare though, with people having to go through an internal department competition first and so on. In the end I partly chose between universities based on their quota and how high up the list they implied I'd be. Interesting that you expect the results to come so much later than I'd been told: there seems to be such big discrepencies between when different people have heard in the past. Surely it can't take that long to send out letters...!

P

My husband and I are both waiting to hear... nightmare.
We're about to move out of our flat and effectively make ourselves homeless as we can't get a place until we know what we're working with.
I'm an archaeologist he's a literature person, I'll make sure I post when we hear!
Don't expect it to be soon, though perhaps quicker than last year given they've less apps to review...

E

This quota thing is this year, apparently, as after, the dept. will be given funding and choose who receives it. Last year involved stalking the postman, only to receive the TLOD. Going to relax this year. It's causing bitterness though, with all four of us applying being friends - I dislike competing with those I know personally. As I'll be happy if a friend gets it, but can't help feeling disheartened myself. Just the way it goes.

E

I'm unsure about luck. The four ppl that were allowed to apply had to have distinctions. The stipulation was either a 1:1 BA, or MA dist. That ruled out about half the dept. Then in that group, you have to be ranked, which is another demoralizing thing.

One of the AHRC assessors for my subject is actually a lec. in the dept! I only know him in passing, or it would be strange. My sup. is quite good friends with him though. I can't help but think that there will be some internal influence with whoever gets it here as the assessor could easily have feedback from our respective sups. I know that is biased, but am suspect about the whole process.

P

I don't think they could possibly show intra-dept bias.
Theoretically a department could be given 10 quota places and ten offers, if their applicants that year were outstanding whilst those at other Universities were poor.
I think it's somewhat unhelpful to consider yourself competing against others in your department, particularly where there is only a small number permitted within the quota. My dept could put 32 people forward, and i think in this case it probably matters more where you're ranked.

B

I was awarded AHRC funding in 2005 and I didn't hear until well into the August. I'm in literature. The best warning I was given was - if it's a big envelope you've got it, if it's a little one you haven't. But that may have changed - I won't accept any liability if it's the other way around! Good luck everyone!

M

In some ways it's rather reassuring to hear from people who got funding and didn't hear until August! My friends in Classics who got funding last year all seem to have heard very early, so I'll now feel less panicky if I haven't heard until rather later. I'm going to be very worried about the size of the envelope now mind you...! It's interesting in some ways to hear what high grades depts have been asking for with this year's quota system: I guess they have to rank everybody like that as there's no other obvious way of doing it. From my experience it doesn't just come down to how good your grades are with the AHRC panel: people I know with top grades have missed out whereas others with less good grades have got funding, presumably because of the appeal of their topic or perhaps something particular being said by the institution etc.

P

I'm not sure how much grades count....
I'd probably feel more secure if they did!
I have no idea where I've been ranked, but I'm at a Russell group Uni w/ an 82 average for my MA. Fingers crossed I'll have nice refs too!

B

I got AHRC funding in 2004 and didn't hear until the start of August. I'm a history student, part-time.

Good luck to everyone who's waiting to hear this year.

W

i'm waiting to hear about funding for an MA, pretty nervous! as we've all made it through the quota, do you think the chances of us getting awards is now higher, since there are presumably fewer applications being sent to the council?

R

I'm waiting to hear about PhD funding, and I've got a feeling there will be a long wait before I get an answer...

M

I wondered whether the odds would be better but I think someone said there will be fewer given this year owing to financial cutbacks so perhaps not. MA awards have apparently always been the most difficult to get so best of luck!

W

I have read about major cutbacks in ahrc funding recently, it was in the news. On the other hand, I read on a forum from two years ago that in my panel - panel 8 - there are only 2.5 applications per award, as opposed to 6.5 in panel 2 and 4 across the board. Wait and see i suppose!