Signup date: 28 Jan 2011 at 1:15am
Last login: 29 Jan 2011 at 3:23am
Post count: 4
Thank you all for your replies! I am really really thankful for all the advice you've given. My decision is still up in the air, but I've got a while to decide as the funding interview (which I might not even pass!) is not until the end of February. At the moment it seems my decision is changing every few hours depending on who I speak to. My girlfriend is trying to persuade me to go for it and has been really supportive and reassuring me that we are strong enough to survive anything.
OK, so I need some advice. Here is my current situation:
I am a Graduate currently working and residing in Surrey. I am 23 and in a fairly well paid job for my age (~£26k p.a.) in an area that I am interested in - Sleep Research. I have been in this job since last year and my degree Final Year Project was in Sleep Research and have said that I would like to do a PhD eventually. I have recently applied to and been given a conditional offer to a pretty good (top 20) university for a PhD position in Sleep Research. The offer is subject to the acquisition of funding from a second interview in a few weeks.
The whole time I have been applying for the PhD I have really not felt like my heart is in it or I am ready for it. I am very happy in my life at the moment and enjoying working and earning a living. Also, I was not the one who sought out this position. My former supervisor for the Final Year Project (who likes to look out for me as she left my old Uni to work overseas, otherwise would have offered me a position there) asked if I'd contacted the Professor of the potential PhD and encouraged me to apply for it. I just don't feel ready for this and feel that if I had really wanted it I would have sought it out myself. I am in a relationship and very happy with my girlfriend too, but the new University is a long way away from Surrey. I know this is a very good opportunity but I just don't think my heart is in it. However, the big question is, is it wrong for me to turn this down??
If anyone could give me some advice I'd be very grateful!
Masters DegreesSearch For Masters Degrees
An active and supportive community.
Support and advice from your peers.
Your postgraduate questions answered.
Use your experience to help others.
Enter your email address below to get started with your forum account
Enter your username below to login to your account
An email has been sent to your email account along with instructions on how to reset your password. If you do not recieve your email, or have any futher problems accessing your account, then please contact our customer support.
or continue as guest