Signup date: 18 Jul 2021 at 8:50am
Last login: 19 Jul 2021 at 6:30pm
Post count: 3
Thank you for your reply and your advice, rewt - it's very much appreciated. Yes, I am thinking of withdrawing the thesis and re-starting the examination process. The thought of going through the viva again and having to choose a new external is filling me with dread though. I'm so worried this will happen again, but I also appreciate that this is a rare occurrence and that it's unlikely.
First-time poster here and reaching out for advice.
A few weeks ago, I received the outcome of my PhD corrections. Despite awarding me my PhD with minor corrections at the viva, my external examiner has now refused to award me my PhD.
During the viva, the external had raised some questions about my findings and believed I had made a mistake somewhere. They suggested ways of double-checking my analysis to find the root of the problem. I was obviously quite concerned and my correction period was mostly spent trying to figure out where I had gone wrong. After many sleepless nights and going through the suggestions the external had proposed, I found out that I hadn’t made a mistake and that my findings were correct. I double-checked these with several people in case I had overlooked something, but they assured me that I hadn’t made a mistake.
In my response to the corrections, I provided further analysis (some of which had been requested by the external) and further evidence to support this. My internal examiner commended me for my thorough work. The external, however, wrote a very lengthy response dismissing every piece of evidence I had provided and stated that they still believe that my findings cannot be correct, despite not providing any concrete evidence for this. On this basis, they decided not to award me my PhD, and to make matters worse, I later heard that they were willing to award me my PhD as long as I don’t publish any work from it. This is obviously an option I have not chosen to take, but it has made me think that they are trying to censor me.
As you can probably imagine, I am furious. My supervisor has been incredibly supportive and we are now discussing further options. I know I’ll get there in the end. However, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if you can offer any advice. I’m thinking of taking the matter further, but I'm not sure what would be the best course of action to take. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Masters DegreesSearch For Masters Degrees
An active and supportive community.
Support and advice from your peers.
Your postgraduate questions answered.
Use your experience to help others.
Enter your email address below to get started with your forum account
Enter your username below to login to your account
An email has been sent to your email account along with instructions on how to reset your password. If you do not recieve your email, or have any futher problems accessing your account, then please contact our customer support.
or continue as guest