Diet-exercise-health pacts thread

Sounds like a good idea bug - will put your mind at rest.

I managed to eat my 5 a day yesterday! First time I have eaten fruit in about 3 years. I had a fruit salad from M&S for lunch, had tomatoes in my spagetti for dinner and had an innocent smoothie drink.

I also went shopping and bought a load of fruit and veg for meals this week!

P

Sneaks, you ate fruit and veg?!?!?!?! Wow!!! :) Yes, salads are good ideas if you can stand them. I have started liking them actually! I did 45 mins of deep breathing exercises and am doing 50 mins nice yoga in the evenings and it's great

And I saw a different GP - he was So nice! He looked at the riny red thngy on my arm and said it's nothing and that I need to raise my BP, relax and sleep.

Will get tickets for an Easter trip home end of month.

Glad about the arm Bug! I am having a lazy day today, after the last 2 weeks of constant working - with 12 hour days and working weekends I'm a bit exhausted.

This thread has encouraged me to go and get an eye test though, so booked one for this afternoon. I've been having really bad migraines when working, so thinking I might need a stronger glasses prescription.

B

I ate my first bit of fruit in 6 weeks yesterday, a banana. I need to eat more or i'll turn into a bandy legged pirate with woolley teeth.

T

Sneaks, well done on the fruit and veg! I got my quota yesterday as well, decided wheetos for dinner were fine if I put a banana on top :p

Bug - I'm so glad you got a nice doctor at last, I wish the crap ones understood how much difference a kind attitude can make. Enjoy your time at home, rest up properly. And well done on the yoga and breathing, I failed to do mine yesterday but you've given me renewed ambition.

P

Bug started day with breathing exercises for 45 mins

Now am eating a banana, half a pack of almonds-raisins-berry mix and a glass of whole milk for a late b'fast.

Lunch is Sainbury's large salad bowl (oooh it's delicious to even look at!) and green tea

Evening - milk and banana (5 a day done at this point)

yoga for 45 mins when I get home

Dinner - will cook something with chicken/fish plus green tea

And just before bed - glass of warm milk!

And 12 glasses water.

(This is my week's plan, so let's see)

S

wow I need to get healthy too :-)
satchi

ah I must admit that i have issues with my water intake - I never drink any water unless I'm lecturing, when I seem to go through about 3 bottles an hour. I tend to rely on tea (and now innocent smoothies).

I bought a juicer years ago, and I have a smoothie maker (so far used for pancake mix and milkshakes :$ ) so thinking abotu making my own smoothies out of REAL fruit, rather than spending loads on innocent smoothie company - I even have their book that I bought years ago to make all their smoothies.

S

@PhDbug I'd be careful about how much milk, it's indigestible to humans if it's cows milk! And it encourages fat sells in the body! Try rice milk or soya, soya milk also acts as a mood stabiliser!
Also avoid anything with aspartame in when ingested it turns to formaldehyde which is the poison fire ants use, which gives you head achs and also makes you more hungry which is why they put it on pop and sweets and stuff so you buy more, it has also been linked to cancer and brain tumors. It's not nice stuff.

P

aspartasame? haven't heard of it - and I tend to digest milk fine but will try soya milk!

S

If you drink anything fizzy it's in stuff like coke etc read some labels.

T

======= Date Modified 16 Mar 2010 14:47:28 =======
Aspartame is a sweetner bug, there's been a few scare stories over most of them at some point but as far as I know there's no conclusive evidence (probably aren't great for you but let's face, what isn't there a scare story about these days?) certainly it's perfectly legal in foodstuffs. As for cow's milk, some degree of lactose intolerance is common, but the majority of us in the west have evolved to pump out lifelong lactase (the enzyme which breaks it down) and actually handle it pretty well. With no symptoms of intolerance and a family history of osteoporosis I won't be giving up my cow juice any time soon!
As for encouraging fat cells - haven't heard that one but I had heard opposite evidence linking dairy intake with weight loss. Personally I reckon it's all a bit of a red herring touted by pro- and anti-dairy groups, a more logical study in the AJCN found no association either way.

S

There are a few scare stories about, the reason it's legal is a government thing, if they put it in luxury foods the chemical reaction which causes hunger makes you want more so the sell more foods/drinks with higher tax! A chemical reaction is a chemical reaction.
My opinion is..cows milk is made for cows. But everyone is entitled to their own lifestyle choices. but people should be aware of whats out there so they can make an informed choice.

M

Well done all the fruit eating and exercising people. Beware that you can only count 1 banana and 1 juice towards your 5 a day. Smoothies are different and count according to what fruit goes in them.

Secondly, for those not lactose intolerant milk is good for you. The benefits outweigh any negative sides. Especially if you're female, osteoporosis and all.

I went dancing last night and had great fun using loads of energy. Will try so some yoga/exercises later. Husband has me on an exercise plan that started really easy but is getting progressively harder. Tough but fun. I've so much more energy already, only a week later.

It's the treats that get me. The free biscuits in work sometimes, the buns when visiting etc.

P

Hmm... Ok I forgot the animal rights point behind dairy.. but I am a non vegetarian and i love chicken a huge lot (not red meat so much though...) and I plan to continue...

Milk - i'd compeltely given anything with calcium up by negiligence but my mum (who's 50) has now got a calaneal something on her heel (lack of calcium) and an old teacher (same age) has the same thing, so planning to boost calcium and drinking milk seems the easiest way if I can digest it which I can...

tofu might be another option, and also cheese (sneaks will advise on cheese perhaps? ;-) )