Diet-exercise-health pacts thread

I drink goats milk, because I love the taste, but I think it is supposed to be better if you don't like lactose (you can tell I have no idea what I'm talking about!). I thought soya milk was linked to nut allergies in kids? - anyways its pretty grim tasting stuff. I don't drink alcohol so reckon I'm pretty safe on milk!

P

Sneaks - I know little about cheese- any suggestions? (I hate bread btw, so something that can be eaten on its own or with my afternoon salad isgreat!)

well I used to firmly stick to mature chedder which I have grated on anything, e.g. spagetti, bread, stew ANYTHING. But i have now branched out. I like blue cheese like roqufort with cauliflour to make a soup, or I sometimes stuff chicken breasts with blue cheese. I also bake camembert and poor honey over it and eat it with breadsticks - this is the most fattening thing ever though, so not for a dieter!

I also like goats cheese baked on toast with shredded leeks or with tomato, or I guess you could crumble it over salad like you would with feta.

M

I used to drink goats milk because it's brilliant for skin allergies and problems like eczema but it is just too much hassle to get most of the time, so I only do it now and again. Don't really like to drink milk so cereal is brilliant, and hot chocolate. I love yoghurts and cheese though. Favourite cheeses include cheddar, of course, port salut (i eat on its own), brie and its friends, boursin with crackers, goats cheese crumbled onto/into anything and cheese strings (ie mozzarella) because they're fun to eat. Especially when stressed, nothing like tearing something apart :)

mmm port salut.

T

Oh God, Boursin I can't actually buy, I'll just eat the whole thing! Goats cheese grilled on toast with a little honey and rosemary is amazing. And La Rustique camembert is a smelly temptation I cannot resist. My favorite cheddar just now is the Orkney one -Mmmmm. Argh, I must be more healthy!

M

Boursin disappears in our house too, hubby loves it as well. Current favourite cheddar is Ardagh mild red. delish. Oh and Irish Edam is gorgeous but so hard to find.

W

I'm quite fanatical about cheese. My favourite at the moment is Dairy Lea. Mild, creamy and with a very delicate texture. The dunkables are to die for.

M

I love how the diet-exercise-health thread has become and ode to cheese. Oops!

On the health front, having takeaway tonight but trying to choose the healthy-est ones. Compromise is ok right?

P

totally okay to compromise (well)!

I've become t total btw (well I never drank till I was 23 and then it was like 6 times a yr, but have now given up at 25 lol) - i dont like the taste of it actually...

N

I've come very late onto this thread but had a quick read and have lots of pacts to make to myself as well!

Bug - so pleased to hear that your gran is recovering well, I've been wondering how she was getting on. I hope you can start to feel a bit better as well now.

I don't eat meat or fish, I eat quite healthily most of the time but I'm anaemic so have to take iron tablets. I'd like to reduce my caffeine intake but if I don't have at least 4 coffees in the morning I feel cranky and seem to do everything very slowly. I find myself feeling really tired at about 2pm though so I would like my energy levels to be more consistent - any ideas?

My pact at the moment is to try to ride my horse at least 5 days a week, at the moment I'm managing 4-5 days a week but want to be more consistent, I am bringing him back into work after an injury at the moment so he is on a fittening regime. I do find it difficult to make the time to ride him every day sometimes but feel so much better when I do. I want to do a bit of competing in the summer so need to sort him out quickly!

the 'food doctor' diet is all about eating the right stuff at the right time to keep energy levels up. i think there is a lot of talk about seeds to pick you up when feeling tired midday (I bought the whole set of books, read that it involved things like sweet potato and lentils and its been on my shelf ever since)

My shower has been leaking into the floor below into our kitchen and therefore trips the electricity everyday when having a shower. My dad thinks its super dangerous to be using the shower, but oh well! anyways, to investigate earlier I pulled out our (big heavy) fridge which is right below the shower. It felt fine at the time, but then half an hour later and I can't walk, my legs are going numb and think I've messed up ANOTHER disc in my back, so hobbling about at the moment. I managed a short dog walk in agony, but no other exercise. I have eaten a cherry gateux slice tho - is that 1 of my 5??? obviously calorie count has gone out of the window. Will be taking many drugs to get to sleep tonight with the pain :-(

But the optician gave me a new prescription and said I didn't have a huge tumour in my brain, so hopefully the migraines will stop!

Quote From Natassia:

My pact at the moment is to try to ride my horse at least 5 days a week, at the moment I'm managing 4-5 days a week but want to be more consistent, I am bringing him back into work after an injury at the moment so he is on a fittening regime. I do find it difficult to make the time to ride him every day sometimes but feel so much better when I do. I want to do a bit of competing in the summer so need to sort him out quickly!

Sorry - just made me think of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzYzVMcgWhg

N

Haha - if only it were always that idyllic, Dougal is very sweet with his pony!

P

Sneaks!!! Hugsss oh you poor girl!

You have a bad back, why on earth did you try pulling a fridge?? (I am actually glaring at the screen as I write this, and wearing a frown)

Rest well, forget the healthy thingy now and look after your back.