How did you meet your partner?

P

SixKitten there is 10 years between my partner and myself - he being the elder.
Older men have always done it for me.

S

Then there's hope for Sylvester yet. I found out that I'm 9 years the senior of my lovely flatmate.

P

how old are you sylvester?

S

Funny you should ask, I am 21 today (for the 12th year running!)

Anyone baked a cake?

P

Congratulations - I am going to play altered images for you!

S

Why thank you Pea. Can you put Stevie Wonder on afterwards?

P

sure, then fiddy' cent?

M

Sylvester, can you describe the greek girl? Her looks I mean...

H

I can help:

She doesn't look like a man.

B

SexKitten - my partner was my undergrad. lecturer too! Saucy!

S

Everyone thinks it is a very naughty thing to do, but it is very common. You already have a common interest with your lecturer as you obviously care about the same subjects, so it is hardly surprising if you get it on! It's tough when other people find out though(EVERYONE always jokes 'so...did you get a First')

B

Tell me about it. Although getting a 1st didn't actually help my situation... Its really weird, we've been together for about 3 years, and he still gets a bit tetchy if he sees a senior member of staff walking down the road.

I'm the same, older men have always done it for me (my bfriend is significantly older than me)and if you get on great, then it just isn't a problem really. I was weird with his friends from work for a little while, but its amazing how quickly people find something else to gossip about, and I was accepted very quickly. Bring on the ring I say...!

S

Everyone was really uncomfortable and critical of us at the start, but as soon as we got married suddenly everything was fine and everyone accepts us, although I still get upset by some of the jokes. I worked really hard to get a distinction in my Master's and I feel that a lot of people don't appreciate that - they joke I must had help or special treament, but in fact I think all my work was much more rigorously checked than any other student because the department knew I was with my husband

B

I am in total agreement that you end up being treated more stringently rather than favourably. I've moved departments for my postgrad which I think has made a difference. I think people have become a lot more relaxed about the whole thing.

Although last friday we went for a staff meal, and there were a few members of staff were pretty new. After enquiring about my PhD etc., they said, "so, how did you two meet". It gets to the point where you get bored of tip-toeing rounf the situation, so I said something like "oh, well, I seduced him at the end of my first year". I have never seen a person in real shock until that point! Luckily, everyone else at the table thought I was just being humerous.

So, did you get married after you'd graduated, or during your masters?

B

Actually, to be fair to my partner, I think he gets pretty fed-up of the nudging and winking that other male members of staff shower him with. A senior lecturer congratualted him once saying, "bloody good for you, I really think there ought to be much more of that sort of thing", see, its not people like us that give these relationships a bad name, its the few silly girls and pervy profs that ruin it for the rest of us