How did you meet your partner?

S

We got married during my Master's - I don't recommend planning a wedding whilst writing up a dissertation LOL

I know what you mean about the attitude of some other academics; they act like it is a big sordid joke and that it is acceptable to make fun of your relationship. I try not to take it too seriously, but if someone questions your academic ability or the strength of your marriage then it sometimes get upsetting.

The other thing that annoys me is that the academic who had the biggest problem with us actually married a PhD student in one of his former departments - hypocrit! There is another couple (lecturer and PhD student) and no one bats an eyelid. I hate the way it is OK to sleep with a PhD student, but a relationship with an undergraduate (who could easily be the same age as a PhD student) is unacceptable and pervy

S

Wow, beautiful stories! Mine is weird and not so romantic. I met my boyfriend in a car accident! We oth got out of our cars to see what happened (many other people did the same) and we started chatting about the accident and how dangerous that part of the road was etc... We had to wait for a while so.... we had all the time to "flirt" and change phone numbers. The following date was arranged in a more romantic place...

M

Thats really sick!!!

H

How is that sick?

J

SixKitten and Bobby: sounds like those other people just need to grow up. What's the problem with two people who work/study together, getting together?

Maybe it depends on the institution. Where I did my undergrad there were a few student/lecturer relationships and no-one batted an eyelid, but where I am now - although as far as I know there are no such relationships - even the suggestion seems to shock people. Who cares what two adults do in their spare time?

B

Hey Juno, cheers! You're totally right of course. I've developed a bit of a "sod 'em" attitude! Its normally people in poor relationships themselves who feel the need to have a go!

J

Exactly, take no notice of attitudes that are no doubt down to jealousy. Like I said in the "rude prof" thread, people who are comfortable with their own lives don't need to be critical of others.