Who's staying up to watch the election results?

austrailia is a real stronghold in my specific field. BUT the spiders would mean it would be impossible for me to get off the plane. And I don't want CBT or something, because I think spiders are dangerous (even english ones) and should be feared - they have a secret plan to take over the world. URGH

My bro lives in quebec, although can't work there so has to fly back and forwards. Problem is there is like 1 university in the whole of canada (I know slight exaggeration) but - would be tricky for me to get work there.

J

Went to bed at 10.15 after the exit poll. Got up at 5.15 to watch a few hours - def the right decision as I had a 10 am meeting and am teaching first years 4-6.

Am sitting in my office with a pile of marking listening to (and half watching) BBC news on internet - can't motivate myself to do teh marking :-(

How are david dimbleby and paxman still awake? I'm thinking speed?? or cocaine?

Good point Sneaks, that's amazing!

My grandad took speed - apparently they gave it to everyone so they stayed awake for a longer time on D-Day, so i reckon david dimbleby wouldn't be adverse to it :p

J

I stayed up till about 1am watching and then went to bed... but stayed up in bed watching results on my IPhone. Had a lie in this morning to make up for the lack of sleep last night though :-)

J

Wow... I'm amazed he had 35 friends to vote for him!

I wonder if he voted onece as garryck and once as gee gee ;-)

A

lol!! I still can't believe that's him, it's so strange to see a real person from the forum! And he's totally not what I expected, I imagined more a harry potter type character!
We just might get to not have a tory government though, I'm crossing everything....I'm happy enough with how things have gone in my local area though!

As educated people are we allowed to tell everyone who voted tory they are morons and their votes don't count??

I know I know, democracy :-(

W

Personally, and tragically, I think we're going to end up with 'Dave' as PM. I've just cheered myself up though with a sudden realisation. Look at this picture (http://mkcommunists.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/david-cameron.jpg) and tell me whether you think he looks like Dracula crossed with a Ginster's pasty?

S

I'd like to point this out in my crusade against the Tory spin machine.

36.1% of the vote, even if its the majority of the vote, does not constitute a mandate to govern without an absolute majority of seats. If you have a problem with this then what you are talking about is constitutional reform.....which is what the Conservatives are opposed to.

The main point is that we are not a democracy, we run a majoritarian system and no party has a majority.

J

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Personally, and tragically, I think we're going to end up with 'Dave' as PM. I've just cheered myself up though with a sudden realisation. Look at this picture (http://mkcommunists.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/david-cameron.jpg) and tell me whether you think he looks like Dracula crossed with a Ginster's pasty?

"I vill suck your... cornish pasty"...

hmmm the postgradforum government?? Could it work?

Bagsy me Minister of Justice! (Sounds SOOOOO cool 8-) )