2nd Year Accountability thread

M

Sounds like your making good progress A116! Keep at it today!!

Didn't manage to post last night because I fell asleep at 9pm!!! Was exhausted!! As for yesterday, I got a few things done, though didnt get as much as I wanted on the economics report. So goal for today is to keep going with that, and make a real effort not to be distracted today by talking to the other phd students and the internet!!

A

Good luck for today Maggie. I think it's probably a good idea to set goals even if we're not quite reaching them!!!

Today I HAVE to finish my study write up. Which means...Discussion fully written, some sort of conclusion, and a huge great big tidy up. I really really hate sending work to my supervisors. Huge worries that they'll just hate it but it has to be done tomorrow so I might end up working quite late into the evening with the intention of tomorrow just being stupid admin-y things. Also going to a 2 hour long seminar this afternoon. Fun!

Check in later!

A

A

Hi.

I have just sent my draft of my study through to my supervisors. I hate it, it was horrible and I pretty much told them so.

Tomorrow = big lie in I think. Meeting in the afternoon which is unrelated to my PhD but uni related and then 3pm afterwards hopefully cracking on with some reading for continuing literature review (managed to get my admin stuff largely sorted today).

How about you Maggie? Productive day?

A

M

Hi!! At least you got the draft in on time thats a start!! so well done!! Its better to have something to work with than nothing!!

Today was ok, got a fair amount done in the morning, then went to a motivation course organised for research training in the afternoon- the course was quite good, didn't tell me anything new but at the same time it kind of still lifted me the way things do when they are said out loud rather than just knowing it!!

Today I am continuing on with my work from yesterday!! I really envy your lie in today A116 your sooooo lucky!!

A

Hi Maggie

Sorry for the lack of response today. Got up about 10.30 and then all my power went off. Nightmare! So I went to uni to read over the minutes for the meeting I went to this afternoon which was so far over my head it's ridiculous. Just checking in but not going to do anything today. Tomorrow I'll hit the literature review hard.

How is it going today?

A

T

======= Date Modified 16 Jan 2009 10:08:19 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Removed - irrelevant to thread.

A

Good Morning!

Today I am in abstract city for my literature review. Actually quite enjoying it. I think it's just because it's something other than my draft! No quantitative goal...just to start the wade through them to be honest.

How is your day going Maggie?

A

M

Hey A116! Meant to post earilier this morning but I forgot! Yeah, its pretty nice sometimes just to do something different- I find productivity goes right up!! I have been working on the same thing for about a month now and its getting very tedious!! today has been ok in terms of progress, been thinking a lot more than reading, but I suppose that is useful in itself...Anyway Im off home now finishing really early and plan to nothing for the rest of the night as Im totally exhausted after sticking to my 9-5am all week (which as I ahve said before does not come at all naturally to me!!). Might do a few hours tomorrow if i can summon myself out of bed though I wouldn't count on it!!

oh and Sneaks, where are you!! I miss you!!!!

Anyways have a lovely relaxing weekend people, if you can!!

A

Sounds like you've had a far more productive day than me then Maggie!

I did read some abstracts but nowhere near enough. Checking out for the weekend.

See you Monday!

A

I'm back! - been away doing data collection duties. Hi A116 - nice to have someone else on board.

Unfortunately my data collection went a bit pete tong lol, and now feeling completely demoralised about the whole project - participants booked in didn't turn up or turned up having not read the brief and were totally unsuitable. :-s

Anyway, feeling totally exhausted now so am off for the weekend and will post back on Monday.

A

Hi Maggie, Hi Sneaks. Nice to meet you!!

I'm so sorry about your data collection. Very frustrating when you get problems which you really couldn't have done much to prevent. But I guess now you have to think about solving it...Have you got a plan B?

Today I have a meeting to get the final confirmation from my research site that they are happy for the study to start on the 26th. I am beyond nervous especially as my sup was going to come with me has been called to a different more important meeting. Eek! So, that's mid afternoon. Until then I'm going to just rock quietly in the corner. Or perhaps I'll try and read over my presentation, notes, data collection tools etc etc before heading off. Never mind.

What's your plan for the day Sneaks?

Maggie?

Take care

A

M

Good luck A116 for your meeting!! Im sure it will be fine!! Welcome back Sneaks!! Shame about the participants,sounds really annoying since you have done everything on your part. I hope you can find a way to rectify it....

I'm tucked up in bed with a cold, (totally my own fault went out for a long walk when I knew it would rain yesterday, so of course I got caught in the downpour!!) so I'm not going to be able to get any work done today, as my head is throbbing -but I might think about doing some admin/filing type stuff maybe later on if I can manage it...

Anyways see you tomorrow, im sending you both positive vibes!!

Good luck A116 and sorry to hear you are ill Maggie.

I have spent the morning replying to emails. At the point now where I don't know whehter my 2nd study is feasible, so trying to establish if appropriate participants are out there or not. Plan B would be crying to my supervisor, then possibly going across different (yet similar) organisations?? have no idea really.

Plan for rest of today.

- completely finish off my lecture planning so its ALL done and doesn't ruin any more days this week
- sit down and work out what I have to do to get my 1st chapter done - the one I was doign before xmas Maggie! :-(
- do some non-PhD work but is related and do that ALL night until complete
- sort my desk out for interviews tomorrow.

actually 1st thing is to write my to do list for today! and rest of week

A

Hi Sneaks, Hi Maggie,

Maggie - I hope you did no admin or filing and stayed in bed with hot tea all day. I hope you're feeling better!

Sneaks - Wow!!! That's quite some list! How did it go? Did you finish all the lecture work? Is your first chapter a literature review? How is it going? I hope you didn't stay up too late.

My supervisor made me write a "Plan B" about 6 months into my PhD which made me really think about what I'll have to do to get a thesis etc but it was one of the most depressing tasks I ever did! Going to a similar yet different institution sounds like a good plan to me and you can always write a big reflexive chapter about how you were unable to talk to the population you intended to talk to and why that might be.

My plan:
This morning I have been e-mailing the people who have developed my intervention to tidy up some last minute fixes.
I will be chasing my research site for confirmation of participation.
I have a supervision tomorrow so I will be preparing a document so that they can OK my statistics before I hit SPSS hard.
I have been asked to do a short presentation to my funding body so I will finish off my presentation and send it through to them.

At some point I should tidy my desk too...

A