2nd Year Accountability thread

M

super for you florence!! don't think I've written a thousand words yet.

kind of came to a halt on what I was working on and I'm waiting to meet my supervisor for help getting a new direction/purpose or at least some more work to do. Spent yesterday turbo-cleaning and getting billions of chores done. So today I've lots less other things on my mind. If only I could have some real thoughts! Will probably just read some papers and abstracts for the next few days looking for inspiration.

M

So hard to get good work done when it's so sunny outside. Not helped by home being a dark hole. Still got plenty of reading done today. Aiming for something more active tomorrow. I'd like to gather together some ideas on two topics of interest and prepare to meet my supervisor with the dead end I found. That should be enough to keep me well busy. :-)

M

eep! Today has been a write off so far. Going to take a break and try hit it again later. Have a meeting with sup tomorrow and very little prepared. will update if i get anything done tonight.

M

Actually got lots done last night! Meeting went well, was very long though. Filled with new things to do for next week! So my goals for the week are:
* Read documentation
* Learn how to use new program
* Use program to investigate problem
* Read paper on extended problem
* Read paper on related problem
* Finish reading old papers
If time, investigate extended problem using program and write up investigations for meeting.
Hold me accountable!

F

Hi Mathkitty - how did you get on with your goals?
This thread seems to have died off at the moment, but I NEED to be held accountable.
I have a paper to give pretty soon and the last few weeks I have been very sluggish work-wise.
Today I am working on getting through a v v difficult but very relevant text.
Have read only 20 pages so far and begun making notes on that - despite being at my desk pretty much solidly since 10.15 :(
Why am I so rubbish?!!!!!
Okay - so for the rest of today, I am finishing the notes on this chapter I am reading and making notes on one other chapter, plus writing an outline of my paper. Have a lecture to go to later as well.
:-s

F

Argh - this just isn't happening.
I feel totally wiped out. WHY? Grrrr... I'm so crap.

F

Still talking to myself... hoh hum... Seriously, I would welcome anyone willing to participate in accountability on this thread.
After 2 utterly crap days, I have worked all day today and finally have a plan (very rough but at least with some actual content!) to show to my sup.
Feel totally shattered and not a very happy bunny.
(down)
Sorry to be depressing!

M

Hey Hey

Ill join in! Florence at least you know have a plan to show your supervisor. Don t be hard on yourself Im sure you are not rubbish! Its the nature of a PhD you will at times lose motivation and have bad weeks! Why has the last few days been crap?

My story so far. Just started this month 2nd year of medical sciency type PhD.

My goals for the week are.

Finish my presentation for an external meeting on Tuesday.
Not get drunk at the wine and cheese after the meeting
Carry out a set of calibration experiments
Make alterations to my report in light of my supervisors comments. Double check for mistakes etc.
Submit (late) My first year report.

F

Hi Monkeyme!
Those targets sound really constructive. I will be very impressed if you get through all of that this week.
Well, I have met with my sup and things seem okay. The plan has been fleshed out a bit more and it's time to get writing.
Don't know why I feel so nervous about starting this silly thing. Okay, just do it!
I have a (non-PHD) meeting at 6.30 today so I have until then to draft as much as I can. I'll set an ambitious target - 1 000 words, first draft quality.
GO!:-s

M

I'll be holding both of you accountable on your promises! Best of luck! Got stuck on part one of my last post list when I realised the documentation was 900pgs. slogging my way through it. Also getting ready for my transfer assessment which is this week. all the sudden report writing is a pain, I'm really bad at the writing bits! So my plan for this week is to read on, read some new papers, finish my lit review and report and get transferrred!!

F

Hi Mathkitty,
That sounds like quite a bit for a week. And 900 pages! Eep! Good luck with it.
I didn't manage 1 000 words - I got 700 down and realised I had an unanswered question. Fortunately I found a book to answer it but have been my stupid rubbish self today and not got on well with it at all.
I started at 10.15 (grrr - I need to be more organised in the morning) and turned the internet off! By 2 o'clock had read and made notes on introduction and one chapter of the book. But this afternoon I succumbed to the surfing.
I'm just so fed up with myself. :-(

M

aw florence! hopefully things are going better now. We always have setbacks. Like my transfer has been postponed. Can't wait to get it done and dusted. Supervisor sent me a message lastnight to say he wanted to meet today, but I've not slept since and I'm getting nothing done. Just one of those weeks really. I'll be more positive and goal-setting tomorrow.

I'm back from about a month out! Now a Mrs sneaks! Anyway, hopefully everyone hasn't given up on this thread. I want to use it to motivate myself to get tonnes of writing done before September. So by this evening I want a nice little chart of what targets I am setting myself!

AAAARRRRGh

P

Just popping in on your thread to say CONGRATULATIONS Mrs Sneaks! Have a lovely life ahead :-)

cheers phdbug, now just to write write write!