2nd Year Accountability thread

Hope you are feeling better Maggie! A116 - my supervisor seems to suggest different studies everytime I see her, so will probably be able to sort something out!

My main prob is alhough the organisation is huge, my target sample is small and its a nightmare trying to get people involved. Going across different organisations could help but worried about time scale. Waiting on an email to see if it is feasible and have a meeting with sup on Thus.

I managed to get the lectures planned - although I have only just finished it, there was a lot of seminar exercises that I had to sort out.
Now moving on to Chapter 1 completion - it is an intro chapter, so is more about setting the scene and saying why I am doing the project. My sup wants that AND lit review by end of Jan and I'm so busy - I have already put her off for months, so very least I need is chapter 1 complete and 2nd chapter (lit review) very well planned out!

AAARRRRGH

ooh and I tidied my desk too!

I managed to do another 2 paragraphs on my chapter 1 - so little, but mainly cos I found a report which has all the stats in that I have been searching for since I started a year and a half ago. So I had to go through and update everything!!

Today:

- Finish chapter 1
- Plan Chapter 2
- sort out all my receipts for expenses claoims
- prepare for sup meeting tomorrow.

(walk the dog)

A

Good morning Sneaks.

Sorry for the late check in. I had a supervision meeting at 9 this morning. That went well. I got some criticism on Chapter (don't you think it should have a capital C?!?!?) which was great. I was kind of expecting a complete re-write but they seem very happy with it as a first draft although it needs a hell of a lot more work on it.

Have spent this morning backing up to my lovely new hard drive. This is somewhat complicated by files on my computer which like to become corrupted and then not let me delete them.

Am off to a seminar in a minute on the topic I did my MSc on which is nothing related to my PhD but I love the area. Then library to get hundreds of books, then home to begin to plough through the books.

How are you feeling now Maggie? Still full of cold?

A

Well done on the chapter A116! - off to a seminar! - god, I wish I enjoyed my subject that much. I should have done zoology/vetinary sciences or something cos the only thing educational I ever do out of choice is watch animal documentaries, read through wildlife books/magazines. Oh well, maybe after this PhD......

ooh join us! as you can tell, I am spending far too much time messing about on this forum today so need to be held accountable!

A

Hi all!

Sneaks - Did you manage to finish Chapter 1? Plan Chapter 2? How was supervision today?

So, trauma involving seminar and library yesterday. I didn't get to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rubbish! And actually I still can't go to the library today! Can't say too much because I will give stuff away.

So, this morning I've been e-mailing to high heaven to try and get a decision from my research site etc...fingers crossed they'll put me out of my misery soon. Got an appointment at lunchtime then I'll try and get my head round the stats I need to use with the books I have.

Lizbethfdz - Come play, come play!

A

Hmm, Well, I managed to do a paragraph and then got kinda writers block - I had everything in front of me but just got fidgety. So started on the consultancy work I am doing, which needs to get done tonight. Supervisor meeting was cancelled so now in uni with nothing to do.

Finishing consultancy work tonight and then going to my parents for the weekend - so doubt will get much work done until Tuesday.

Oh well, maybe my supervisor will forget she asked me to write anything - hopefully!

A

After my dentists appointment I felt sad. Anaesthetic makes me feel sad...so did nothing this afternoon. Now I'm gonna go back to campus to see if I can get the books and try and cram 3 days worth of reading into tomorrow. Unlikely.

Have a great weekend Sneaks. I won't be working over the weekend either, very rarely do.

A

A

I have wasted most of my morning.

Boo!

Did get ethical approval though.

Now I have a pile of books to work through before leaving at about 3ish.

What's everyone else up to today? Sneaks, I know you're away. Maggie how are you doing? And Lizbethfdz, how is your week going?

A

A

Hi All!

I am checking in a little late today. Spent the morning trying to get a really basic stats test running on my comp and couldn't have anything else open. Didn't work anyway. Whoops!

Today, I want to run all of my analysis and have a table form of the results to take along to my supervision tomorrow.

How about everyone else?

Sneaks - How was your weekend at your parents? Relaxing I hope.

Maggie - How are you feeling now? Has your cold died down? I'm sending you electronic soup vibes!!!

Lizbethdfz - Are you still here? What's your plan for the week?

A

M

Hey all!! yet again I am apologising for not checking in!! How did you get on today A!!^? and Sneaks did you manage to get any work done over the weekend?

Yeah I recovered from the cold last week and then was away at a conference for a couple of days which was really fab!! I also was asked last week to take over lecturing of a course beginning this week eeekkk!! So been really busy reading up on a subject which I have never really studied!! Really looking forward to it at the end of the week though very slightly worried if I can manage it since its so unfamiliar to me and of course worried that my phd research will suffer, though I'm really determined that once I get the first lecture over with, I am going to ensure my research gets more time in the coming weeks.

So plan for tomorrow, finish preparing for the lecture and also to finish the final draft of an article I have had accepted which needs a few amendments in light of some devps in the law recently.

M

PS good to be back!! I feel really guilty when I dont post here! lol

A

Hi,

Maggie - I'm glad you're over your cold and you enjoyed your conference. Were you presenting? Congratulations on the teaching! That's great news. Let us know how it goes. Let us know how the prep and the article go today.

I managed to get about half way through my analysis yesterday when I got the worst news of my PhD. My research site has dropped out. It's very bizarre, I'd always been prepared for something like this to happen because who has gets a PhD without some kind of disaster, and I expected that I would panic big time but I still feel very calm. Have a meeting with my sup in 10 mins to discuss it. Can't really plan my day/week/the remaining 19/20 months until we work out how to deal with the lack of research site...

I'll keep you updated...

A