Accountability Partners - Write your Dissertation in 15 Minutes a Day

A

Day 6 Goals:

1) 15 min structured writing on biomed/culture/stats
2) 1 field note entry
3) Review reporting reqs for NS and review proposal

Happy weekend to all (Buen fin de semana!)

C

Hi Lara and all - am having the weekend off as have my panel meeting to discuss my chapter on Monday. Am at a conference for the rest of next week, so I hope everyone has a productive work week! I will check back in on my return.

Go go go!

L

Anthro, wow its the 6th day.
good luck with your aims for today.

CeCe, nice to hear from you! good that you're taking the weekend off. and good luck with your meeting on monday about your chapter and the conference!

------

i'm having a very very slow day. maybe its the saturday blues. not being very productive at all!

currently working on this massive results table. its going very slowly.

L

just realised a mistake in a table my 2nd supervisor made in the second paper they submitted.. she made this table, based on the data i sent her.

i gave her the data, and it specifically says 19%, and shes written 25%.
ive corrected it for my thesis.

this is exactly the reason why i hate the "rush rush" lets get the paper published. i like to take my time and meticulously check the data over and over again.

in all fairness she did send the paper to all authors, but i was focused on correcting the written work, i didnt even think of looking at the results, thinking it would be fine, because i had meticulously checked it loads of time, before sending it to her.

so i am hoping the paper gets sent back to us, for "corrections" or it gets rejected, as evil as that sounds, i just dont want my examiners to see the discrepancy between the thesis and the paper. i dont care for the second paper to be published or not. i just want my thesis to be perfect and accurate.

L

anyways i am not gonna worry about the paper. i've wasted enough time working on those papers instead of my thesis. i'm just going to focus on my thesis. i only have 3 months left for my thesis. and wait for the paper to come back for corrections. when it does, tell my 2nd supervisor of the discrepancy. im sure it will be sent back for corrections. but i aint gonna contact them right now. they are already hostile towards me. i aint stoking the fire.

L

then again, could have been my mistake.

i think once i complete my first draft, i will tell my 2nd supervisor and maybe she can contact the journal. whilst its being considered.

L

okay i think i need a break, because i've obviously have lost the plot.

i just checked another table. and its fine. it is 25%. you know the cartoon character when it gets hit in the head and all it can see is stars. i think thats whats happening to me, all these ones and zeros. can make you go kookoo.

phew what a relief!

L

no the mistake is real.i'm going to have to correct it, and then tell my 2nd supervisor of the mistake. so she can contact the journal or something.

its because i corrected the data, and must have not corrected one of the versions and so must have been a mixup. she must have used an "older" incorrect version.

anyways for my thesis, i am going by the "correct" version. and will just tell her later, she will be annoyed, but i dont care.

L

hey Anthro, how's it going?

ignore my random ramblings above! just talking to myself.

A

Hey Lara! How is it going? It seems like its been tough to manage the papers/thesis/advisers screwing stuff around!

I've been doing a Saturday full of research, but only managed to make my field note writing goal. Arggg! I think I would feel worse if I wasn't collecting good research all day but - STILL - I need to find a time to actually write it all!

Good luck with everything on your plate - and see you tomorrow!

B

Hi Lara

That's a 'fun' internal battle you have going on there. Vis-a-vis the results and the paper (and speaking as a journal editor as well as a PhD student)... I'd advise you to let your supervisor know about the error as soon as possible (for both your sakes) - better to own up than to risk incorrect data going out to publication.

Also, it's probably better to write down your findings/understandings as to why it went wrong whilst you're thinking about it. You can do so without recriminations/blame, just state the facts. In the publication it says 'this', it should say 'this' and this is 'why'... here is where I think it went awry... etc.

L

Anthropologa, thanks. yah was quite stressful juggling all those things.

that is great that you worked hard on research all day. i admire the fact that you want to write ontop of a heavy day ! good for you.

------------
bakuvia, thanks for the message and advice

yap i realised the mistake is in the colour coding she made from my data. its an easy mistake to make. she put a colour down wrong. the other table with the values IS correct, i doubled checked.

the table is "supplementary". the findings don't change the writings in the main journal article.
so i think once i get my draft finished in about a weeks time, and have double checked it. i will send her a seperate email sending her my supplementary table, that i changed.

but i added a few more colour coding stuff which she might not like. but the data makes more sense to me now. but then its her decision. and she can contact the journal, since she is the senior author.

L

Aims today:

1. FINISH the results section of chapter 4. this has been my aim all week!! still not finished it.

2. discussion of chapter 4.
--------

good luck with everyone that is working today on a sunday..

A

Day 8 (which day am I on here?) Aims:

1) Field Note Entry

2) NS Report - 15 min

Good luck to all today. Does anyone else just really not like Sundays? Way too close to Monday for comfort.

L

hmm i think its day 7 no? since u started on monday

yah i know, sundays are usually a time for relaxing, so its really hard for me to actually work like its any other day. its the sunday blues.

going to treat myself today though. after lunch, i'm going to take a couple of hours off, and relax and watch a dvd film. and then start work again. thats if i dont feel too guilty!