Christian courtship during PhD away from home

J

To ULUG:

Yeah, you'd be surprised to see that most Oxbridge people are weirdos like myself. If you want to see normal people, don't come to Oxbridge.

U

So are you also saying everybody at OXBRIDGE is homophobic?

And by the way: what's your obsession with Oxbridge all about. Two of the best universities in the world, yes. But not holy temples of wisdom or knowledge about life, the world and the universe.

D

Forgive me I think that excusing your opinions purely on the fact that you go to Oxbridge is laughable. I'm at a reputable University (even if it isn't Oxbridge)and both my supervisor and close friend went to Oxford and neither is homophobic or neurotic. Forgive me as I dont personally know you but I think that you perhaps have some personal issues which you are trying to excuse. Brandishing everyone who goes or has gone to Oxbridge as 'weirdos' is stretching it a little!

P

This is my favourite thread ever ever. It definately should go into the hall of fame.

J

You guys managed to twist this thread in the wrong direction.

S

I think you're twisted enough without our help!

S

Sorry, meant that in a lighthearted way - not trying to be rude!

A

Sorry, just a quick remark off topic:

Obviously I'm not from UK and I just have to tell you all about my little observation: having lived before in many different countries I've never come across so many polite people like in the UK.

Whereas people in other countries seem to be relatively outspoken and direct (maybe too much), in England the biggest fear of most people seems to be being perceived as rude.

I'm not critisizing this, it's just an observation..

M

I agree Apollo. While I certainly don't agree with what JRadetzky says, people might do well to remember the words of Voltaire, "I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

Taking offence at something someone says, instead of engaging in rational debate, is the biggest obstacle in ensuring a tolerant society.

J

Ok, I think this thread has served its purpose because it helped me realise how important sex is for 99% of you PhDs. I would have thought that because you were intellectuals, Aldous Huxley's quote would apply "An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex". I think I've found a more appropriate audience for the courtship thing at http://www.asexuality.org

U

Yeah, have fun over there.

In the meantime my last words are: sex is more fun

U

To quote someone more intelligent than Aldous Huxley:

"You only live once"

(unknown source)

S

Okay, I've just read this long thread right through. For new viewers it's important to succinctly summarise what has been said. So, rather like "our Graham" from Blind Date, here's a recap of JRadetzky's views of women, life and homosexuals. Any interested girls who meet the strict criteria of points (1), (2) AND (3) apply here.

1)Not prepared to lower standards below anything less than a “top-notch, 22 yo-Oxbridge PhD student-NSBM-talented cook-family oriented-trilingual girl” . Would rather remain alone for the rest of his life than settle down for less.
2)Needs to girl-like, that is, “childish, naive and unthreatening” as grown women are threatening because they want to “mate”.

S

3) Would like to date her as if she was his little sister, then marry and then she could be like his mother.
4)Joined a Christian group (as someone who “strongly opposes religions”) and then pursues a girl who presumably doesn’t know he is a fraud. Moreover, doesn’t know which “denomination” she belongs to.
5)Said girl is aware of interest but the feeling isn’t reciprocated.
6)She doesn’t feel safe in “one-to-one” situations with him.
7)Suggests that Christianity is not as “far-fetched” as Islam or Judaism.

S

8) Would rather remain a bachelor than use internet-dating.

9) A bar is the worst ever place for finding a spouse because good girls/boys don't go to bars alone at night, do they?

10) “Try before you buy” is a “rubbish approach”.

11) Two years is the recommended time for courtship such that he would not kiss any woman he wasn’t married to until the “2 year process” is complete.

12) All PhD students are “bizarre”, except for Oxbridge students who are just “weirdos”.

13) There are virtually no Oxbridge students who believe in NSBM.