Confess..

T

Are you a geek? I ask this in the nicest possible way. I'm the first to admit that I'm a bit of a geek, obsessed with all things History. I just wondered how many MA/PhD students think of themselves as a geek, and how many think this is just a ridiculous stereotype?

C

I'm a geek! :-) 8-)

M

Yes, I'm a geek. ;-) I almost think you have to be to do a PhD, it's our job to be obsessed by one question for years...

S

is "workaholic" the same as a geek?
or it has to have something to do with "obsession"?

M

I'm genuinely not a geek. I have enough enthusiasm about my subject and cognate areas to enjoy and care about my PhD, but there are people in my department who take enthusiasm/geekiness to a different level. I do think though that in academia its kind of cool to be a geek.

A

when talking to non-sciency people, then I definitely come across as a geek, and all my friends tell me im a geek....but compared to other people in my lab i don't think im that bad! :-)

K

Apparently, there's a difference between a nerd and a geek. A geek will still have 'geekish' tendencies but also possess some social skills, unlike a nerd. I like to think I'm more of a geek but maybe some people would disagree : )

N

I'm probably a little bit of a geek, definitely more geek than nerd according to the classification! However I'm in the social sciences and I think the definition is a bit different to the natural sciences - basically those outside of academia are probably less likely to see me as a geek, if that makes sense. I used to hate the summer holidays and I'm glad I won't have one now I'm doing a MSc, and sometimes I get a bit hooked on particular writers/theories...but I don't really think I'm clever enough to be a proper geek.

P

I cannot get the nerd-geek distinction but I am definitely any or both.

I get the uneasy feeling that nobody reading this post is too surprised at my 'confession'.

Ah well. :p

S

I think this is a stereotype - what are we talking here, people with thick glasses, inept and unable to get a partner?? I'm definitely neither, and my colleagues in social sciences aren't either. But then, I don't understand these terms anymore...

K

I hope people realise my post was more than a little tongue in cheek....Oh, who am I kidding. I rigidly classify everyone I meet as a nerd or geek and refuse contact with the former.

;-)

M

Regardless of the stereotype or precise definition of geek I'd be pretty sure I fit in there. Possibly even a nerd too :$

K

Hmmm, I think my pals and family think of me as the 'super-intelligent one' (which I'm not) and frequently tell me that they have no idea what I'm going on about when I talk about my work with great enthusiasm...but I don't think I'm a 'geek'! I possess a wide range of social skills and function pretty much like a normal person as far as I'm aware! I fear I may just have facilitated a debate about whether 'geeks' are 'normal people' or not. Oops. To be honest though, I love my work and it keeps me awake at night thinking about it with great excitement and enthusiasm...if that makes me a 'geek' I'm not really arsed :-) Best, KB

W

Geek or nerd, I wish I knew.
I may not be either, since I don't know what to do.
I do my work with my crayons and pencils,
But then I've never, ever, ever used a stencil.

Geek or nerd, who's who?,
I listen to my music and shake my booty,
and I used to have a girlfriend who was like a Rolls Bentley,
But did she leave me cos I'm of nerdy gentry?

Geek or nerd, I just don't know,
you see, I'm the kind of guy who just goes with the flow,
I'm up at dawn, just doin' my work,
But I can get angry and act a jerk

Geek or nerd, I suppose I'll never know,
but then, I'm just a PhD student and an average Joe,
I work all day and I work all night,
and in a dark tunnel but at last I can see the light!

P

wally you're a poet,
And oh of course, you know it!
Your poems are fine,
There wasn't a better rhyme!

Well the nerd-geek distinction - hmm, I find I wear glasses (very thin, but yes, very high power) and am very capable of drawing a huge amount of professional admiration from men but usually a 'liking' is a No No.

Hmm. KeepCalm I think i fall into the nerd category, which wears glasses and are incapable of getting a partner.

Sigh. Time for a drink.