Deadline is this summer - let's do it together!

D

Ady - the mortar board had to be done, I couldn't put it on before in case I jinx'd myself (superstitious tripe I am sure!!). How are your thesis corrections going?

Thanks everyone for your kind words and wishes, I very humbled by it all.  I shall be keeping a close eye on this thread to see everyone else's success too. Obviously I still have some corrections to sort out and finalising to do so will let you know how that goes! Would love to go out and celebrate but sadly reality sees me clearing up after sick dog and looking after bambinos. However, their happy faces greeting me back home yesterday was priceless :-x

B

Congratulations, Dunni!

D

Yey, congratulations! Very pleased for you and your success gives us all hope too, go enjoy your summer now! :)

S

Congratulations dunni73 !! Back to this thread again to see how everyone is doing. Good luck to all of you who are planning so submit soon!

P

so now that Dunni is paving our way, how is everyone else doing?

I'm still been given huge chunks of thesis to change at this late stage (sup just didn't read them at all until now... *cries*) but it's getting there. I'm going to call it quits on Monday in changing things - no more big changes. The rest of the month will be spent on finalising everything and proof reading.

I've also found somewhere to live, which is great, moving in next weekend. It's not the best timing in the world, but I'm so sick of living in a hotel that I am soooo looking forward to it :)

Hope everyone is moving on smoothly!

D

Hey Pink, glad to see you have somewhere to live, moving is never great timing but in the long run it will allow you to work better in your own environment. Must be a weight off your mind! Shame your sup hadn't read all of your thesis prior to now but hopefully these big changes will be the last. Keep working at it, you are getting so close. What is your deadline now (I noted the original post was 30th June)?

P

Hey Dunni, thanks for reminding me that I didn't change the deadline on my original post after the earthquake extension!

it's the end of July, although it's a weekend, so I need to get it in before that.

How are you feeling the day after the viva? has it settled in yet? Do you have much corrections to do? how long do you think it'll take to get it all sorted?

D

I am glad you got an extension as you really had a bad time of it without news of family/friends.  So just a few weeks left now, how exciting :-) You are pretty much there once the draft is done, just corrections, tweaking and formatting. My thesis went to a second draft before some minor changes in the final version.

I have seen an unofficial post viva corrections list and to be honest they are mainly minor typos, symbol changes, modifying one abbreviation throughout (very tedious little p to read capital P :-s), a reference to add in and a small clarifying paragraph in my lit review section.  It is not too bad, no real mentally challenging revisions, just tedious and annoying bits really. However, I have yet to see the actual formal report via the post.  I am feeling ok, slightly excited but still a bit 'numb' as it was straight back to reality of three bambinos screaming for my attention. I think the excitement would be more prominent if I had had some real celebrations straight after!! Will get around to that soon I think :p

A

Hey all

Glad to see things really looking up for you Pink_Numbers. You're right to call a halt to large-scale corrections. I 'sort' of did the same with my supervisor the other day and he said that it was great to see me taking ownership of my thesis. Thing is, I want him to tell me it's okay not for me to have to insist on it :$ If the viva was on words and volume, I be up there with the best of them. On quality, I'm not so sure.

Slowmo is next out of the traps, then Keenbeen, then you Pink I think? Then those of us who insist that September is the summer ;-)

good luck all :-)

K

Hey all! Yeah, Slowmo next, then I think it's me after that...it feels like there has just been a constant stream of us submitting and having vivas over the last few months, and it looks like it is going to continue that way!

I'm sort of feeling a bit calmer now than I was a couple of weeks ago when my deadline got pulled forwards. I'm hoping to have a final draft sorted and seen by my supervisor in about 10-14 days, allowing another 10 days or so to format and edit. I hope that will be long enough! The fellowship application is really not coming along well and I am losing enthusiasm. Starting to think that I really need to move away from here and at least spend a bit of time away from my sup before I explode. Yesterday she actually shouted at me for being nervous about my viva and told me it was pointless and that I was wasting energy! I know it's true, but that doesn't mean it's possible to just discard my nerves! Sometimes I think she isn't human. Just to add to the chaos I have been invited for a job interview in about 10 days which means I will lose at least a day and will have to spend a night away. But I really like the look of the job so I'm gonna go for it. Eeeek. No pressure.

Delighted to hear about your success Dunni, and pleased that things are looking up for you Pink_Numbers as well. Can't believe that this rollercoaster is going to be over in a month...

Best, KB

F

Hi All!

It is great to see that everyone is meeting their deadlines :-)

I'm still some time away from submitting. My sups are quiet slow at turning things around. They wanted 8 weeks to look at all of my chapters, excluding the discussion. So I'm about half way through that period. I'm trying to work on my discussion now, as well as finalising 2 papers to be sent off over the next 4 weeks or so. At the end of August they want to see all of my chapters again, with the discussion this time. So I'm not even sure if I'll get it in before Christmas :-(

At the moment I can not see the light at the end of the tunnel - I'm just really hoping that I will actually be able to finish. It is definitely a weight around my neck at the moment.

Back to it. Keep up the good work everyone!

A

really slow feedback is demoralising as it's hard to keep the motivation up and to keep moving forward. Sorry to hear things moving very slowly for you Fm. Hopefully in the long run it will mean a smoother submission and viva.

My thesis is back with my supv and he told me to start proofing it for grammar, typos etc. I took that as a positive sign although he has one version and I'm proofing another??? I think I feel a bit like you Fm, a bit trapped and wondering if I will ever be finished with it but hey, we will get through this (up)

S

======= Date Modified 10 Jul 2011 10:28:33 =======
======= Date Modified 10 Jul 2011 10:27:36 =======
Good to hear how everyone is going and especially glad to hear things are looking up for you pink numbers.

I now have four days to go and I am actually now feeling at peace with my thesis, which is a great feeling! In the next four days I just need to make some really minor changes and formatting and lots of proofreading and then it's ready to be served up to the examiners (hyperventilates).

Very excited but also still quite stressed. i don't think I'll relax until it's bound and all the forms have been signed!

Hope everyone has a good week (up)

S

======= Date Modified 15 Jul 2011 00:12:38 =======
Submitted! I am SO exhausted but so relieved. Thank you all so much for keeping me motivated over the past few months - it has helped a great deal having people to contact who are in the same boat. Having a few drinks tonight to celebrate before I start stressing about the viva! Hope everyone is going well :-)

D

Fantastic slowmo. I hope the viva goes smoothly and let me be the first to wish you all the best for it:-)