examination forms nightmare!

S

i record every meeting with my supervisors on an mp3recorder. i don't have problems with them, but i have a memory like a sieve too
lara, that could be a good excuse for you to record meetings and your sup would have to be careful what she says to you in the future because you then have evidence.

L

me likes! that's an excellent suggestion

i couldnt sleep last night. and thought what if i brought in a dicataphone to record them. but then thought how would i explain it. but memory thing. thats cool!

hmmm where can i buy a good one? and what is a good one, like how much should i spend to just get a decent one?

L

pampelmousse, you are a genius!!

i loved your idea

"If the emails are still upsetting you it might be worth printing out the latest, putting them in a folder and writing in very BIG WRITING email/correspondence folder. Pull it out with your other stuff when you have your meeting (you don't even need to draw attention to it). You might be surprised by how people (in general) start to be a bit more cautious once they realise what they've written is in print."

that's such an excellent suggestion, i will do that!

S

i tried out several mp3recorders. buying one of the recording devices to attach to an ipod was a bad idea as i couldn't tell if it was actually recording and sometimes it didn't and i only found out afterwards (grrrr!). i had one that only showed the time ticking by on the screen, but that didn't always work either. get one that shows you if it's recording (equalizer lines, whatever) on a little screen and maybe even where you can check from time to time with headphones if it's recording. these recorders can be super-expensive it you want a high-quality one (for interviews etc), but if you just want to record relatively unimportant stuff then a cheaper one will do as well.
the one i'm using right now is a M-AUDIO Microtrack 24/96 and it's very easy to use. it has a little omni-directional microphone you can plug in. about 300 euros on ebay.

L

thanks!! thats alot of help, I appreciate it

B

Lara,

I do not think you have to tell your supervisor that you are taking minutes.

IMHO, it's a good practice to write up what have been discuss during the meeting for all students whenever they have meeting with their supervisor.

I normally would send a follow up email with an attachment about what I learnt, what I have to do and kindly ask them if there is anything I misunderstood. And when they reply OK, I can go ahead and work on the plan. I would also bring the copy of that email for the next meeting.

B

If I were you I would concentrate on the table of content and write up the section outline of the thesis as you would include in your these later on. You should send it to him at least 1 week before the meeting and clearly state what you expect to discuss on the meeting day. I found it is extremely useful when my supervisors agree with me on the outline. In that way, I just follow the outline and when it’s done, it’s done. No more, do a little here, little there.

After you have table of content and outline of the thesis (I reckon 3-5 pages would be enough), go back to table of content and break it down into smaller section. Write a little summary about each section (bullet points would be useful sometimes to get whole picture without going into details). Send it to your sups and set up the next meeting to discuss that. Of course, you are still working on the missing bits while waiting for their replies.

B

When you have them to agree on table of content, outline of thesis section + detail of each section, you can make a plan for them. E.g, you will send them chapter 1 on the 15-July and ask them how long they can return it for you. Make detail plan based on their responds. For example, it would take them 2 weeks, then schedules a meeting 2 weeks after 15-July to go through their comments.

One more thing, If you supervisor only wants to see polished version. You can always send the first to someone you know you can get quick feedbacks. Then, correct it and send it to the supervisor.

I think you will have enough time, just make sure you have plan everything into small section to start with. Working every day all small section would be much easier.

Good luck with your meetings and writing up.

S

yes, i also send an email after meetings with an agreed plan and quick summary of the meeting attached as a word document.
it gets me focused on what i have to do and then we both know what was agreed upon for the next time.

B

I minute meetings with my supervisor afterwards as well and email him a copy of the resulting Word file. I also take brief notes during the meeting (have a rotten memory: won't remember key points otherwise) and so have those to use while writing up my minutes.

O

Hey Lara,
How are you doing?
Not heard anything from you in a while.
It would be great to hear your doing ok.
xx

L

Hi Omega monkey

so kind of you to ask how I am doing.

I am feeling much better thanks for asking. After having what can only be described as a complete mental and emotional breakdown this week (2nd episode). i have recovered (combination of talking to my parents, telling them all my fears and mistakes, speaking with the welfare advisor and the counseller and talking to my friends and reading dale carenegie's books again)..

and the most important thing was that i just wanted to hear from my parents, that it was OK if i didn't pass and that all that really mattered was that i did my best and worked hard. and the outcome of my phd thesis did not matter in the grande scheme of things, but what mattered right now, for the next 3 months was to work hard on my thesis and know in my heart that i did work hard.

so yesterday evening i got back on the horse so to speak.. and i felt much better

L

Thank you so much bovp2000 for your very detailed and clear explanation on how to do a thesis plan! that really helped. about splitting it up into little sections. you're so nice to go to all that trouble to give me all that advice, i really appreciated it

and thanks for the encourgement and positive thinking! you're right when you think about smaller sections and working everyday on it, it is so much easier. and i tend to get less overwelmed. your advice really helped me starting on the thesis map
i read your message a few times yesterday to get going..
------

Thanks so much swantje for your tips and advice!! you're right it's a good idea in helping to stay focused.

-----
Thanks Bilbobaggins, yah it's a very good idea to take notes during the meeting, and emailing them the copy of it! I will do the same

B

I am glad to see you being positive again, Lara. We were worried about you.

One more thing that I think it will make you less stressful is that "It will never enough to make correction" in case you are perfectionist.

When you have a version that you think OK. Do not worry too much about polishing any more. Just send it to someone who willing to read. It does not need to be the one can give you critical comments, ie your main supervisor. That's that proofreader for and you will need their help.

I found that for some, it will never be a polished version. Believe me, if you just give them a published paper, they will have comments as it is the first version. It seems that you sup is one of them.

B

For you, the most important is to put your results that you have accumulate during your PhD in there and got it in to acceptable version for viva. Think about it: an average version and completed or a polished version for few chapters and uncompleted, which one do you choose? If it not polished enough your will have some corrections to do after the viva. But if it is not completed ...

I like Joan Bolker's book very much. I agree with you about zero version, it make the writing less stressful. However, my favorite from the book is:

THE BEST DISSERTATION IS THE DONE ONE