Jojo's Writing Up Diary - The Race for the First Draft

L

wow jojo, that sounds fantastic! so impressive

good luck!

and i know what you mean, about when you're putting in original stuff. and it does feel satisfying to see a chapter grow. i agree with that!

yah all nighters are hard. but if i get sleepy will drink coca cola lol, i think i may have some proplus lying around lol, might be expired though.

and i know, i also feel guilty, when i bombard my supervisors with work i've done. but you're right, thats what they are there for!!!

L

that's why i think i put off working on my thesis and only worked on papers and put 100% into the papers, cause they were always interested in seeing my work progress on the drafts, and i felt, that they were getting something out of the papers, but sort of like, oh thesis, what's in it for me. maybe its just me being paranoid. but thats how i felt.

okay maybe not an all nighter, as it will affect my work day tommorow, but until 4am.. and i find waking up before 11am so hard, when i got to bed at 4am. i need my 7-8 hours of sleep. i can't function otherwise.

L

just think how satisfied you will be tommorow when you email your sup the drafts! you've done so well, meeting your deadline

J

hello Lara. its always great to hear from you.

i just noticed i wrote 2pm instead of 2am. wonder where my mind was. anyhow, time for me to clock out now. i feel a bit stressed. i've managed a bit of work. i didn't finish incorporating the summaries. i guess it's the deadline that's getting to me and all that has to be done before then. i hope this PhD is the hardest thing i'll ever do in my life. not prepared to take on anything harder.

J

am so afraid of what you said about publishing. because my supervisor keeps taking me back and forth, i find that i get more fulfillment from publishing - which is a dangerous place to be in. i probably put more into publishing that into my thesis. i think constant critique is the cause of this. with publishing at least something out there thinks my work is great. that motivates me. thats said, before i get feedback from supervisors i will try and send off the two papers and then fully concentrate on my thesis til submission.

tomorrow i plan to work from home so i should be online most of the day. hope your work is going well.

L

Hey Jojo, same here, it's always nice to hear from you too

I can imagine you must be stressed, when you're that close to your deadline, it's perfectly natural to feel anxious.

i think phd is the hardest thing we will ever do.

i know what you mean about publishing. but yeh, be careful that it doesnt take away time you could be spending on writing your thesis. but it seems like you have a good plan, that you will submit your first draft of your thesis to your supervisor and whilst you wait for feedback, you can work on your papers. sounds like a good plan.

good luck with tommorow, see you on the forum then, i'll be glad of the company, starting the second part of my chapter, just finished part 1.... me off to bed now. nitey nite.

J

today is going ok. still have a way to go. hopefully i'll be done by 6pm.

J

i finally handed in! yeah not as good a draft as i would have hoped, but at least it's a draft. it feels so good to print the entire thing.

B

Well done jojo. I sent in 2 chapter drafts today (emailed to 1 supervisor, posted to the other one 500 miles away!) and share your feelings. I'm sure I could have fiddled with them more but there comes a time when I need to send something in, and it's better to stop and send in what I have. Now I'm having a short break before starting drafting the next 2 chapters: the last 2 big ones of my thesis. Once they're done I've just the conclusions and bibliography to go. And much redrafting!

L

Jojo, well done! that is excellent. yah you can always keep fiddling around, better to just stop and send. so proud of you for meeting your deadline. you've done so well.

Bilbo, well done you! that's really great.

L

so both of your supervisors offer to read draft versions of your chapters? and not perfectly polished final versions of the chapters? that's good.

i am going to ask my supervisor if he will do that. in the past he told me he will only read perfect polished chapters, and to only give him perfect polished versions of the chapter. and he doesnt want to see drafts.

maybe i can ask him, if he will look at my first draft version, now that i have a deadline. because better to see a draft, at an early stage, incase i am on the wrong track, then spending time on the wrong thing and making it perfect.

B

My chapters have to be pretty polished (not zero drafts or even plain first drafts), but there can be areas where I indicate more research still to be done, or questions I have (I put those in bold in the footnotes!). But there's a difference between pretty polished and fully polished. I have to draw the line in polishing a draft somewhere, otherwse my supervisors won't ever get anything to read!

L

oh okay cool. yah i am working towards a first draft, where most of its fine. but interspersed with questions and suggestions of expanding on certain bits.
thanks.

C

Hey Jojo...congratulations on the draft...I bet that's a good feeling. I'm sure the bits you are still not too happy with can be ironed out in later - they're the draughty bits!
Hope you're enjoying this evening with a well deserved reward

J

thanks everyone. i've been celebrating. back to work now.