Jojo's Writing Up Diary - The Race for the First Draft

J

thanks everyone. i've been celebrating. back to work now.

L

Hey Jojo, how's it going?

J

hey Lara and others. hope you're doing great. sorry i've been away. i even managed to forget about the forum !!! after handing in i've taken my mind off my thesis since and been working on papers, catching up with movies, i just watched SATC!!! went out with new friends this week, went shopping, and i'll be out again on Thursday!!! am really loving the unplanned break, i was down and under pressure for so long, and am glad i've taken the time off. i can now look forward to writing. i feel bad that my last hand in was not perfect and am not looking forward to hearing from my supervior, but hey... am happy. am not sure i'll be able to work tomorrow, because am not feeling very well. hopefully thursday, but at least am working on something different and actually looking forward to it. meanwhile, am finalising travel arrangements for my exotic write-up holiday. i'll be leaving in July after my annual review to a place in Africa. can't wait!!

L

wow africa! that is exciting!

you definately deserve a break Jojo you worked so hard and you met your deadline and you have a first draft of your entire thesis. that is brilliant!

dont worry about the corrections, just think they have something to correct now!

well done you

and hope you feel better soon.

J

am back to work now... after an unplanned week off. today has been a lazy start, catching up with emails, payments etc. i've also been looking for a house. i didn't realise that moving was so hard! now am off to work on a paper i want to publish. my supervisor hasn't said anything yet how is everyone else doing?

L

Jojo!! you're back

missed ya!

you totally deserved to take some time off! you worked so hard.

good luck for the paper, and hope you get some good feedback from your sup soon. just think its better that you have done your first draft!!

J

750 words - a slow start, but it's something.

thanks Lara. am also glad to be back. its inspiring to see you working so hard.

L

awww thanks Jojo, you're so sweet , I appreciate it.

hey 750 words! thats brilliant! way to go!

J

i've done some reading in the last two days as well as made job applications and practiced for verbal and numerical reasoning tests. why do firms use these tests!! i so hate them.

meanwhile, no word from my supervisor. just working away on my paper and doing an application a day. deadlines in July. hope this time round i'll be lucky. fingers crossed.

other than that, i actually got an official diagnosis for my lethargy and am getting treatment for it. if you're struggling to get up, and making very slow progress and feeling tired all day... maybe you should see a doctor. it turned out that working indoors over the last couple of years with very little outdoor time has actually taken its toll.

L

good luck with your application!
so when are you going to africa for your writing holiday?

good luck with the paper.

and glad to hear you went to the doctors, that makes alot of sense, about being indoors. yesterday i felt very claustrophobic all of a sudden and i just had to get out of my house. so walked around in my garden for awhile. i think you might have something there, the whole being indoors all the time. once i hand in my first draft, i am going to start taking regular breaks and actually leaving the house and maybe ride my bike in the park. otherwise i will turn into jack from the shining lol. my friend called me up the other day and we were lauhing about that, saying i would end up running around with an axe.

L

but part of me is actually anxious about leaving the house, i don't know why. like i am suffering from a mild case of agoraphobia or something. weird but yah sometimes i just can't do it, i just can't leave the house. i think i've associated not leaving the house with completing my first draft. if i havent done my first draft, i shouldnt leave the house or something. i'm planning on emailing my sups the first draft (as much as i have done) by 7th of july which is the final deadline, and then taking that day off and the next day off, i'm actually going to a concert on 8th july but feeling abit nervous about going. lol don't know why.

M

Jojo what was your GP's advice re. leghargy etc? (if you don't mind me asking).

At the moment, I get up the morning and feel like I'm ready to go back to bed for the day! I guess a good brisk walk in the morning is the solution (I keep saying I'll do it - but never put it into practice).

J

hi guys. thanks.. i'll reply in detail to your posts tomorrow. am sooooooo tired. i've been down with flu-like symptoms all day.

L

Hello!
Well thats me done, conference paper sent to supervisor and I am bloody knackered and my head is killing me. Its far from perfect but its done and I can always redraft.

night night all

J

hi guys. sorry for the delayed replies. i've been feeling poorly. the doctor said i had very low levels of vitamin D in my blood, due to staying indoors for ages. that was causing the lethargy and unexplained pains. i also had low levels of other nutrients because of maybe overworking and forgetting to eat at the right times... hence the stress related illnesses, such as ulcers, irregular bowel movement, headaches... flu like symptoms and general unhappiness and not wanting to wake up and face the day.

the Africa trip is soon. i haven't got the dates yet, but its defo in July. other than that, annual review coming up soon and am not really looking forward to it. i spent the whole day in bed with a blocked nose (in summer!!!) and feeling all feverish. i just wish i could go home. trials of an international student.