Marmite

W

I was being facetious but vegetables are actually storage organs, so I was calling them offal.

P

See how untuned I am from all reality - i had never even heard of this Marmite thingy...

And, if it is microbial waste, I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole. urrrrgh.

But then again, honey is the vomit of bees or something. Read it in school sometime in science class.

This is a travesty. Please, Marmite lovers come out in arms! I can't vote again. It's yeast bi-product, and very good for you too, especially if you are vegetarian.

M

I don't mind marmite - I'll take it or leave it really - but it appears that's not an option any more...

every single person I have found who hates marmite hates it for one reason. THey spread it too thick! Like jam!?? Its meant to be spread really really thinly and then its lovely, otherwise its like eathing my rabbit's salt lick on toast.

i thought marmite was yeast extract or something - so surely if its whatever micro/.asdj sfkjhsf waste, then so is bread and beer cos they need yeast too?? - not a biologist so don't kill me

J

Can't say that marmite spread like jam appeals much, but marmite is actually rather yummy stuff. It also has the advantage of being not that expensive when you consider how long a jar lasts and how many sandwiches it makes. It's pretty good to use in cooking too.
Basically marmite --> (up)

======= Date Modified 16 Dec 2009 10:00:25 =======
======= Date Modified 16 Dec 2009 09:59:18 =======
How to consume Marmite (inspired by Sneaks): spread a thick slice of really good, freshly made white bread with butter; then spread marmite very thinly over this; accompany with a nice cup of tea and a sit down, and heaven will be yours.

M

Bllleeeeeeeurghh (down)

C

marmite is great, but has to be thinly spead (though my OH does spread it like jam....but thankfully not for me!)

Veggiemite however blugghhh (down)

W

Eska, yeast by-product is a euphemism for yeast dung. Sneaks, I wish you hadn't blown a hole in my argument with a shotgun-like counter-argument, but... It's the CO2 from yeast that makes the bread rise, SO...that's not yeast plop. Now then, the alcohol that comes from yeast when making beer...stoichiometry of it is C2H5OH - that's not the formula for yeast dung and it's also a recreational drug, so it doesn't count. Unlike with marmite, which is made from scrapings off the bottom of beer fermentation tanks after they have finished brewing beer. That's why it's so cheap - it's in plentiful supply. Maria, I'm surprised at you for liking marmite and I don't even know you from Adam.

R.E. the vegemite vs marmite debate - I'm still waiting for a response from my good world-leading expert friends in yeast-based products.:p

W

Catlinbond! How very dare you!

W

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

Eska, yeast by-product is a euphemism for yeast dung. Sneaks, I wish you hadn't blown a hole in my argument with a shotgun-like counter-argument, but... It's the CO2 from yeast that makes the bread rise, SO...that's not yeast plop. Now then, the alcohol that comes from yeast when making beer...stoichiometry of it is C2H5OH - that's not the formula for yeast dung and it's also a recreational drug, so it doesn't count. Unlike with marmite, which is made from scrapings off the bottom of beer fermentation tanks after they have finished brewing beer. That's why it's so cheap - it's in plentiful supply. Maria, I'm surprised at you for liking marmite and I don't even know you from Adam.

R.E. the vegemite vs marmite debate - I'm still waiting for a response from my good world-leading expert friends in yeast-based products.:p

Sorry, Maria is sensible and a connoisseur of fine foodstuffs. It is Megra that I am surprised with.

T

The only person I introduced to marmite who didn't like it was my french exchange partner when I was 11. She was a very strange girl and I think her dislike actually offers a raft of points in marmite's favour. Aside from its sheer virtue of tastiness, marmite is also my favourite hangover cure. Hot buttered toast with marmite (spread thinly as others have explained), a bagpuss dvd and an oversized duvet = tequila cancelled out and the world is right again.

Oh, and crumpets toasted with marmite and melted cheese - a better winter snack doesn't exist. So wally - go suck your marmite-free peas you heathen!

L

I too suddenly developed a longing for marmite and have been spreading it like jam. I thought it might be something to do with needing the B vitamins with the dull weather etc. But I could be dreaming.

Quote From walminskipeasucker:

But surely, although it is the CO2 from the yeast that makes bread rise, the yeast has to be there (marmite scrapings and all) for it to exude CO2? and therefore marmite scrapings part of yeast is actually in bread? - I'm sure I remember my mum using yeast when making bread hmm

and that's PROPER bread, none of this breadmake crap. in a proper Aga!

Anyone else got snow today? (snowman)