My friend just quit his PhD after 11 months...

T

Yes I'm often told that imagination is not one of my strong points!

What kind of coastal work are you doing at the moment? (I presume it's coastal stuff, unless you're doing something with chicks?)

C

coastal protection guidance and policy (dont like the policy bit - supervisors keep pushing their own agenda)

T

Hmmm policy ends up creeping into everything!

F

Hmmm, I am just pondering (for probably the 10th serious time) whether to chuck it all in. Second year progression (2nd into 3rd) does not look promising. My supervisor quit a few months into the whole thing and it never really took off after that - don't see my supervisors, the two on site have no clue what I am doing. I'm fairly sure what I'm doing isn't worth a bean anyhow.

Only trouble is the dreaded studentship which, when you are thinking of seriously leaving, seems to act as a very unhelpful millstone. I am universally told I am mad to be walking out of a funded place - and if they want repaying they are going to have to wait some time for that as employment prospects look hazy to say the least.

F

..and just to continue...I would love to go back and do a PhD at my undergrad uni, where people were human (wow, where did that come from?), in a topic that made at least some theoretical sense (I'm doing cognitive neuropsychology - has a tendency to turn into navel staring very quickly if you're not careful!).

Out of interest has anyone encountered difficulties gettign a job after quitting? I imagine it doesn't look too good on your CV. Also after so many years of study I have no idea what to do job-wise or how to go about finding one! Ho-hum...

W

coastal chick, I am so impressed that you have the strength to quit. I am certain it takes way more courage to quit than to stay. I am just starting my 4th year of my PhD and still want to leave everyday - for a miraiad of reasons: my PI in awful, the lab is horrific (no communication), stuck in the armpitt of the universe etc... So in case you haven't received enough support or encourage, I am super impressed that you are strong enough to quit, go team!

C

in case anyone is still reading this thread and is thinking about quiting i thought i would keep you posted on how my attempts are going. I am not sleeping and am very stressed, have sleeping pills from my doctor and my supervisors are not making it easy and i haven't even told them i'm leaving yet (they just think i am considering my options). It all sounds very dire to a reader but i am still going to go through with it and thought it would be helpful to anyone considering leaving to have an honest account. Thank you for being so nice to me cyber phd people i know i am doing the right thing, but man, heres hoping the light starts shining soon!!!

R

I notice that over the last few days several of he postings have been related to quitting the PhD and there has been debate whether this is courageous or the contrary.
I feel neutral yet in my opinion one, if not the most important challenge, is to finish the project. The lack of progress and disappoint may well have to happen to enjoy the experience of achievement at a latter stage.
Again I do appreciate the different views people have regarding quitting , that is finally a personal choice, yet I wonder whether others also see the "suffering" as a required part of the whole thing

S

I'm in your situation too westisbest - 4th year and have never enjoyed the PhD (and have been contemplating quitting all along). I'm not sure if being too scared to quit is the only reason I'm here though - I know I do still want to succeed with my experiments (and hence with my PhD).

R

Not suggesting everyone should quit but I did yesterday having only done 4 months and feel a great sense of relief. Supervisor was very good about it and we are going to continue doing research together which is great.

although, everyone who finishes gets a great personal reward, it is worth remembering that there are other things that are rewarding as well and phds involve a lot of sacrifice. walking an unhappy road doesn't guarantee happiness at the end....

and we shouldn't really think of it as cowardly quitting. choosing to start fresh on something completely new takes more courage than trudging through 4yrs getting bitter....

good luck everyone

Q

Hey guys, a couple of weeks ago I told you about my phd going tits up.....since then my new supervisors have tried to get me out of the university, saying im effectivly incompotent as i brought water in to the building which they thought was radioactive LOL! Idiots!
I had a big meeting with the head of school, and enjoyed making them look like idiots! However ive been for a couple of job interviews, i got two in 2 weeks. The people ive seen offer amazing packages with loads of support, and I can really get my teeth stuck into large projects and learn new skills...something thats not happening at phd level. Rather than have a piece of paper id rather have decent skills and experience, im waiting for them to offer me the job now...cant wait and am praying.....then ill finally quit!!!

R

i'm interested to know why they thought water was radioactive? hehe

O

As I already said on the other thread, i also quitted my phd after 18 months. The main reason (but not the only one) was that my supervisor was no good at all, he kept me doing useless thing and he didn't actually know anything about the topic and of course he couldn't help me. I had the impression (more than just an impression...) that I wasn't learning anything and wasting my time... it was too frustrating.

W

So.. tomorrow morning I have a meeting to discuss the procedure for taking what I have done and receiving a masters degree. This was a very difficult decision for me, but I am very releived to have made it. I may find another PhD program, at a more exciting university, or I may work for a while. I just know that leaving this place is what is right for me. I am a very dedicated scientist, and absolutely love research! I am currently surrounded by apathethy and indifference; something I have never experienced in this field. For the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would consider this field if they weren't passionate about it. So anyway.. I am leaving to go find scientists who want to be scientists. I am glad the department is working with me - and they have acknowledged the lack of passion within the department. AT least a masters is more than I came with.

V

*This message is too long so I'm splitting it*
I reckon quitting takes some guts, so good luck to those in the process - it can be harder to admit to yourself, friends and family that you made the wrong choice than to stick it out. I don't know about you, but personally I also feel kind of like I "ought" to get a PhD because I know that I'm academically capable of it - and that's not really a good reason to put yourself through 3 or 4 years of suffering if it's not the right thing for you.