My friend just quit his PhD after 11 months...

A

it's me again- my message was too long so i had to split it- blue bit (beginning 'Hey Guys') comes first

J

I only found this site yesterday, its very nice to hear from other PhD students considering whether to continue or not. I'm about a year and a half in, but my interest has been on the slide for half a year, and it doesn't seem to be picking up like it did in year 1. I'm seriously considering calling it a day, but as Angie81 has pointed out: to do what? Will i get a ref. from my supervisor? Lots of questions and no answers.

H

I am 5 months in, self funded, part-time and quit yesterday. My lead supervisor was so controlling that it began to feel like a 5 year jail sentence. I did ask my advisor about changing supervisors but what guarantee that the next one is any better? And I am paying for this! Uni has asked me to take time out to consider but I am searching for universities that offer online PhD in Medical Science. Anyone out there with any recommendations?

M

Hey Highland Lassie,
Which uni are you at currently? And do you have any preferences, geographical or otherwise?

H

University of Aberdeen, great place - loved every minute that I wasn't with my supervisor! No geographical preference, looking for online/distance learning with credibility

B

Hi there.
I quit PhD almost 4 years ago. When I did it I had only 4 months as a PhD student. I do not regret it, actually I congratulate myself to have done so. What I certainly regret is to have enrolled as a PhD student in the first place. I had previously earned a MSc degree and knew PhD was not for me, but my advisor kept on telling me "get a PhD, get a PhD, get a Phd" and ... "you will do a very succesful PhD, you are very promissing I will get funding for you, don't worry about it, I like you since you work hard, you get a PhD, you can not miss this wonderful opportunity" and so on. I did not. I got my Msc and went out 7 months for job. Then I stupidly decided to go back for PhD in part because job perspectives were not really nice (not too bad either).
I could continue talking about my personal story in PhD, and will later, but first things first, I consider that:

B

As I was saying....
I consider that
-PhD is not the best thing you can do with your life, it can actually be the worst thing you can do to yourself.
-PhD is not the only nor the best rewarding experience in a human life
-PhD is worth if and ONLY if you TRULY love your topic, your grad student life and all that is related to it
PhD, research, etc are only a part of a Human Life. Reducing your life to graduate life, academic life, publishing, research, etc, etc is not really healthy (mentally, emotionally, phisically). Ideally one must have some balance: intelectually (which does not reduce to getting a PhD), phisically (some excecise), emotionally (being truly in love with your girl/boy and with humanity, have meaningful sex, etc). Include also some artistic creativity and so on.
People tend to think that it is wise to sacrifice everything for a PhD because in the end you will get that precious balance in your life.

B

I will continue later

B

5 months into my PhD I decided to leave. After several months of dreading going to work, repeated experimental failures and severe demotivation I finally realised that I didn't actually care about doing a PhD and the pain was just not worth it. Like others have said, I almost felt obliged to do a PhD because I had the ability to do it but at the end of the day I just want a job. Yes, I enjoy science, but I'm not willing to dedicate my life to it and make the sacrifices that some deem neccessary. So I told my supervisors my decision and they gave me the "but you have so much potential/things...

B

...will get better/don't waste the opportunity" talk but in the end the thought of leaving made me so happy and quite excited about changing direction. My parents etc have been okay with my decision because they were fully aware of my unhappiness, though still shocked. My supervisor is willing to give me a good reference but I don't really know how to approach my incomplete PhD in job applications (i'm applying for technician posts in a similar area).

C

I haven't posted for a couple of months but i have finally quit (my supervisor wasn't that shocked!) I spent some of the time i had off sick (due to extreme stress induced insomnia) looking for jobs (in the environmental field) and getting my c.v sorted (recommend prospects.ac.uk) Had three job interviews and got two offers out of it. No seemed to really mind that i had decided to leave - i think just starting one is impressive enough - it shows you have the brains in there (somewhere). I made sure that i explained why leaving was a positive thing and a brave step and they all seemed to really respect that

C

I made sure my c.v. was the targeted sort (i.e. not chronological) and highlighted all of my skills and thus no need to focus on my time as a research scientist!!! its all about how you present it. Anyway, happy endings seem to be out there - i appear to have my dream job (time will tell but i'm very rose tinted at present) and there seem to be quite a few other very positive posts. Just remember, its not about changing your mind or making the wrong decision in the first place - its about making a more informed decision based on experience and evidence, and the only winner or loser will be you.

F

Hi guys,
can anybody give any ideas how to actually quit? Is it better to tell the supervisor, possibly leave and then look for jobs? How are the potential employers going to look at quitting a PhD? Or is it better to look for jobs while doing Phd, how do you get your references?

A

I have the same questions as foxy's post above. Question for coastalchick, how long were you into your phd when you left? I think I have mentioned it in a previous post but i did my phd for two years before taking temporary leave last year- has anybody ever, or heard of someone who has, quit a phd this far into a phd?- if so, please let me know as it would lift my spirits.

A

I have yet to make a decision on whether to stay or leave (keep on changing my mind every two minutes- typical) but what i DO know is that i love research- can it be possible to continue research without doing a phd (i don't want to be a lecturer or teach)- like, become a research assistant or something? Anyone have any idea? (i know i should discuss this with my supervisor but I'm absolutely terrified of him. Comments would be much appreciated- thanks