People scared of you and your PhD

G

'There is no way that the majority of you would be mates with a chav factory worker who smokes 40 a day, never washes their hands and goes down the Bingo on a Friday night. SO DON'T EVEN SAY YOU WOULD!!'

I find that statement ridiculous. I'm not being rude [well I probably am actually] but I also find it amazing that someone who has reached the supposed pinnacle of educational achievement can actually say that.

W

Well sometimes you can take the girl out of the place that gave her issues but not the issues out of the girl. Just leave her be. A person this fixed upon the same argument, despite a huge number of others telling her she is warped, is obviously not open to opinions different to her own at this time.

K

I would and i do, so you are wrong!!!!1

Z

Whatever. But deep down we all know what is true!! You don't see professors hanging out down the local chippie with the chicken factory chavs now do you - what do you think the reasons for that are!? EXPLAIN THAT!!

Nowt wrong with Bingo - it's a great laugh

H

The reason for that is that they probably have very few common interests not because the professors think they are BETTER than the common chavs (actually they may think that if they are stuck up).

Z

Yeh right - you all look at Vicky Pollard and think 'oh what a charming lady, I wish I was like her'..............NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You look at her and laugh at her lifestyle and her attitude, and you certainly don't want to be like her..cos she's common and you think yourselves better. Just admit it. Express those deep down feelings - go on!!

S

Vicky Pollard is a character from Little Britain you moron. Thats a COMEDY SKETCH, not real life.

Anyway, I have been to the pub with a few of my former lecturers and they met their mates down there too. Some of their friends did work in factories, spray shops, etc.

Zara, where do you get your impressions from? you seem to be the most narrow minded person on this forum.

W

I don't go around with many BNP party members but it is only because they don't like me. I don't go around with many artists either but that is because I don't get to meet many in my line of research/life. I don't go around with many people with kids because they don't like to go to the same places I want to.

During my industrial placement, I rented out a room with an old couple in South England. The landlord was a security guard and the landlady worked in one of the shop that make cross-stich patterns. They were also very appreciative of my career, respected my opinions, smart enough to be tolerant, had common sense and treated me like a daughter.

Everyone is judgemental and biased to an extent. It is human nature but literacy is supposed to teach you to be tolerant and respectful. However literacy is not the only way to become a brilliant person so using that to judge the standards of other people is flawed methodology.

G

You're wasting yout time W2DN. Your trying to reason with a person whose whole argument is based around the view that'deep down we all know what is true'.

Z

Where did the influence come from for Vicky Pollard though?? It's not fabricated - it's based on real life chav culture you moron. Have a look at this:

www.chavscum.co.uk

W

I know I am wasting my time with this thread but it is gotten so amusing now! I almost wish I could meet Zara. I could invite Stu and we could all go down and do a mini-project on chicken breast with help from Fluffy.

Z

We'd have to include a study of Chav Culture in our research project.

W

A PhD is supposed to be a focused project we finish in 3 years. Chicken breast seems to be small enough for a mini-project.

S

I see what you mean. A true Postgrad forum classic! So for those newbies who haven't seen this thread before, here goes..

P

What is chav?