People scared of you and your PhD

S

So glad to see this thread brought back to life

S

Piglet, have a look at the web address provided by Zara higher this page. That should provide a definition.

E

The worlds gone "PC mad". Of course a doctorate is "better" than a career packing chickens. Thats not to say that these chicken packers aren't extraordinarily interesting people. A lot of people don't choose to live their life through their career.

Call me a snob, but I think everyone (apart from some freaks) would rather do a PHD than lead that kind of 'poultry' existence. Zara, my advice is to try harder to make friends with these detestable paupers and you may find them suprisingly unique, with individual charm. Not everyone is as pathetically worthless as they first appear.

T

My PhD is going to involve chickens.. Where does that leave me hehe

Z

Oh no, I cannot believe this thread has been revived!! I'm just laughing my head off here!! I'm now in Egypt having finished my 'contract' in SA. But I'm going back to the UK to do a conversion course in..wait for it guys, this will make you laugh..SOCIAL WORK!! So I have learned to change my attitude a lot towards people who do factory jobs - I've found there are a lot of people who are trapped in jobs they don't like just because of the money or no opportunities..but these people can certainly live it up at the weekend!!

S

Hi Zara, I take it you get an email everytime there's a response. This was nominated as one of the best threads this year in the PGForum Oscars. Obviously you're long gone by now!

S

Good to hear from your Zara! Wondered what had happened to you hon!

Glad to hear you've got things sorted x

D

That leaves you with bird flu Dr. (to be) Tricky!!!

D

I suppose we all seek gratification and acceptance for what we do! We want our family and friends to approve of our choices otherwise we wouldn't be so annoyed/upset that sometimes people are not supporting us (they probably have different priorities for us) and not understanding why we are stressed as it was our choice to do a PhD afterall!!! People outside academia will never understand the stress of it all as to them we are just extending being students and don't really want a job etc... But talk to people who are in a similar situation and they will instantly understand! That is the difference!!! It's no use complaining to non-academics the problems of doing research and a PhD!! So you have to find a common ground or don't talk about it at all! Just laugh it off as my family think I'm doing a strange topic!!

S

Well spotted. Will Elizabeth Duke be next?