Second year accountability thread

K

Checking in for today.

I've seen people using the 'DONE' system of marking things off which looks fun so:

read up to p.300 of Jane Eyre DONE
Continue making adjustments to my chapter: neaten up bits I've added, add some more close textual analysis. Hmmm, second part DONE
Finish JE, map out lesson plan Still to do tonight :-( Nights before teaching are the worst.

So I made a list of all the adjusments I wanted to make to my chapter and then I spied a chapter in a book which I thought would be really useful. I ended up reading all of that. It was about Hegelian dialectics and Derrida and other mind-warping stuff, so although I think it will be useful in the long run it has just made me question even more things in my chapter, making an even bigger mess. WHY DOES EVERYTHING TAKE SO LONG?! So I haven't had time to neaten anything up and now I really need to go and plan my lesson. I ALWAYS end up sitting until the wee hours before I teach so I'm not bothered about that. It's my technique :p

Hope everybody's had a good day. How have you all done?

J

Had to write monday off as I had too many other things to sort out.  I'm currently doing my lit review, so my plan for the rest of the week is just to sit there at my desk everyday from 10-3 and do something, I've been so lapse that I'd settle for just getting back into the routine of working again :$

P

Wow you guys have lots of targets short term!!! :-) I feel scared to be accountable short term, hence my weird weekly or monthly agendas!
It was a good day today - lots planned and done, brill meeting with sup on our joint project, tons of new ideas, lots of intellectual connections and then a nice evening out.

Will call it a day now and check in Thurs perhaps!

night night!

Hello everyone, it's good to hear you're all doing alright. Yes the DONE thing does look satisfying, although I'm not sure I could muster the energy to write the extra words after days of hard slog, how daft does that sound?

And Bug, that sounds like great fun - I'm glad you're getting out and about and enjoying yourself.

Anyhow, here's my plan for the next day or two; I'll be working mornings only both days due to other, fun commitments - lucky old me.

The next big task is to write a 1000 word definition of one of my central terms which needs to be finished by next Sunday evening - I already have a paragraph of about 400 words and I need to expand it. This seems very do-able now I see it written down. So! Tomorrow, I will identify the points which need to be clarified/unpacked (that weird academic term which makes me think about moving house)/expanded upon and start writing. Who know what could happen...

Hopefully, I will be over feeling sensitive after a torrent of name calling and personal insults dscribing me as old (or more precisley older than her), fat (I'm not, I'm just not a size 10) and a used up bag from my charming 22 year old neice. That's it; immediate family no more. This is a family free zone.

K

======= Date Modified 02 Dec 2009 13:39:28 =======
Ugh, I'm a bit behind with my plans and now I'm SCARED of my work. Does anybody get this? I procrastinate and actually feel fearful when I think about opening word, ha ha. Pull yourself together woman!

P

@ESKA: an old, fat used up bag???

Without even getting into whether the target of this remark is old or fat, how can someone say such a thing to another human being, especially someone who is older to them? I sound like a goody goody perhaps but I was really shocked to read this!

K

Sorry I missed that Eska, your niece sounds like a nasty piece of work.

Ok, I'm logging on at 3am to have the satisfaction of saying:

1) made all the adjustments I agreed with sup to chapter 2 and have sent it back to him- for Wednesday. DONE (Well, 3 hours late as it'sThursday morning now!)
5)Read Jane Eyre and taught my seminar DONE

Hurray!

So I need to look at my abstract and plan a paper, think about my December timetable and mark 10 essays in the next 2 days. The essays are going to be time consuming but I have to do it :( Then I will post up my aims for next week as I've found this thread really helpful

:-)

K

Sorry to take over this thread people! But it's really helping me to keep my mind in order.

So today was not a productive day at all. But I did search out the conference abstract and did a mini literature search to see if I could find some materials to work from. The short answer is no : / Which means that if I can do this well it could be a very original article. But I only have a month which is going to be tough. I've also decided on the primary texts I'm going to focus on.I didn't mark any essays today, which is bad news but I'm not going to kid myself and say I'll do them all tomorrow. I'll do 5 and then the rest will have to be rolled over to Sunday. So, aims for tomorrow are:

Get to the office for 9 am sharp!
Mark 5 essays.
Revisit the bits of the last chapter which I'm planning to expand upon for the article. Copy and paste.
Brain storm some ways I could expand upon it, including using the bits and pieces of secondary material I can use.

I've also pretty much decided on what I will read over December, so I can say:

3)Worked out what primary/secondary reading I'm going to do over December. DONE.

P

Wow Keepcalm!!

So I again went out with friends (this time five times the number than day before yesterday) for the evening and hence no work done. Plus bad time to do with health (arrgh)

teach today and I always prep last moment so that's today. Plans til Tuesday roughly:

1. to make the plan of the project lit rev (massive) to be done by 16th
2. to make a plan for submitting the article that has been waiting to be submitted. (coming tues)
3. Have just realised it's already time for yet another supervision(!) and hence to write three abstracts and a mini essay (for another journal, revieiwng a panel I organized and spoke at) to send all in on Saturday wich I realise is tomorrow.
4. submit said things, incouding journal article and
5. Rest.

And might I share a good news? Well, I submitted an 8000 word piece to a journal (good one) towards the latter part of the first year, (4 months ago), well, it will see the light of the day :-) and they've said it's really good and our only concern is the length but we are looking into it to see if that matters...

ah.

K

Well done Bug! That's brilliant news, especially so relatively early on in the PhD. Although, from the little I know of you on here I'm not altogether surprised :-)

I really haven't done much this week, I think it's just my incessant wittering about what I have done which is deceptive! And I still haven't marked ANY essays... This means my Sunday is gone :-(
Today was another unproductive day and I didn't get to the office for 9, quelle surprise. However:

Revisit the bits of the last chapter which I'm planning to expand upon for the article. Copy and paste. DONE
Brain storm some ways I could expand upon it, including using the bits and pieces of secondary material I can use. DONE

Which means, for the whole week:

) made all the adjustments I agreed with sup to chapter 2 and have sent it back to him- for Wednesday. DONE
2) Looked again at abstract for conference in Jan and worked out a plan for writing my paper (gulp). DONE
3)Worked out what primary/secondary reading I'm going to do over December. DONE
4)Started marking essays. If I could get about 10 done, that would be great. NOT DONE
5)Read Jane Eyre and taught my seminar. DONE

Which I suppose isn't too bad. Next week must be better! I'll be back on Sunday to write up next week's aims.

P

I love the way you (can) write DONE.

Today was a satisfying teaching day. A student came to me and said "i want to show you something that will make you proud." And showed me her distinction marks in an essay. Then she added "i listened to you, did what you siad , and managed to get a distinction".

I was quite speechless...

Hello everybody,

It's good to hear you're all steaming ahead and getting on well - congrats on the publication Bug, that's great news!

So, I have managed to key into my work. Today I sussed out what I need to do and made some notes - pen on paper - so I feel fine about getting the 1000 words out this weekend, and maybe having a nice bit of R&R too.

My supervisor says my book chapter abstract is good as it is and needs no alterations; that made me feel a bit like a kid realising they've been riding a bike without stabilisers for the first time: I can write these things on my own, without any help! Hahaaaa.

I'm still feeling a bit sensitive after the familial onslaught, but now I'm working again, I'll be back to normal soon.

S

Hi all,

It seems u all are working very hard and achieving your weekly goals. This week was just okay for me. I could do 75% of what I planned but it seems that one more week of time is needed to complete my last targets. As I have 3 workshops to attend in Uni this week, it is likely that my writing part will automatically slow down. Anyways, I am hoping for the best to at least complete my last week's targets.

Good luck to you all.
Swetch

E

I just finished all my targets for this week!!!!
Now for the next week and until Christmas, I have to read the new papers that have been published, and they are A LOT! Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) people do research around my subject and do publish!!!! So more things for me to read......

I finished the 1000 word thing: DONE! Now I have to prep for my interview on Tuesday.