The One Goal Thread

S

Oh oh, I took too long to leave the house and have now got the feedback so all hands on deck to get this done asap. Errands, methodology and life are all on hold!

N

Good luck with getting the amendments done on your journal article Skig, and I hope your doggy gets on okay at the vets Button.

I'm plodding on with the amendments to my literature review from my two supervisors, again the same thing as I said yesterday but they are taking a while; think I'll be working over the weekend on this as well. Going to work until 4pm then go and ride my horse for the first time since I hurt my collarbone two weeks ago, so looking forward to that.

Have a good day everyone

E

Poor Emmaki - I have suffered from cycsts and even had two abscesses in the past and I know they are horrible things. It sounds like the doctors are keen to remove yours so thats great news (they often try to fob you off with antibiotics or a 'wait and see') - once its gone the relief is instant.
Good luck with your work in the meantime.

I have ordered my printer paper today as I am printing out my thesis myself - it takes over an hour to print out each copy so I might split the printing of the 5 copies over two days next weekend before handing in on monday.
In the meantime I am trying to do a final read through for typos. And trying not to throw my laptop through the window when word keeps messing up my margins (by reverting to Letter paper instead of A4 paper - why?!?!?)

T

This is my first time on the accountability thread, but definitely not my last! Today I have already done some non-PhD tasks and errands like rearrange a hospital appointment. The plan for the rest of the day is:

1) Sort out the NVivo problem I'm having - hopefully uninstalling and reinstalling should do the job.
2) Plan and begin my in-depth quantitative analysis and discussion.
3) Watch videos from a relevant conference which I wasn't able to attend.

Should be achievable!

G

I am continuing with PCRs for 1 or 2 exons or may be more and subsequent gel electrophoresis. Hope it works.

L

I think to me the difference is that posting about writing articles / reading articles / writing chapters is stuff that everyone has to do and is therefore easy to identify with. Anyway, today I am running an experiment to help with investigating a puzzling result from last week. I'm trying same solvent/related complex to see whether I see the same behaviour. Exciting stuff!

Hope everyone is having a lovely Friday! :)

B

Hi everyone,

It's nice to see more people join this thread. Twomules, welcome.I need to sort out the bad estimation results which bothers me for a couple of weeks.
My goal today:
1. Do more tests to make sure the program for Gaussian case is right.
2. Add auto elements into the above program.

L

Hi all, just checking in, I was out at meetings all day yesterday but I'm back in the office today working on Chapter 1. My one goal today is to get my corrections on this chapter finished!

Hope everyone is having a good day (up)

T

======= Date Modified 25 Sep 2012 10:31:44 =======
Hello all,

Today my one goal is to write the summary section for my methodology chapter.

I hope everyone has a good day today!

Hello everyone. Really pleased to see lots of new people here to help keep us all going!

I'm back from my conference in Helsinki (got back on Sun but spent yesterday catching up on emails and doing odd jobs, so back to work today). The conference was great - my presentation went really well, I got lots of discussion in the session and then lots of people came up to me throughout the conference to say how much they'd enjoyed it and to discuss links with their research. It was just what I needed really, reminding me that I do have something worthwhile to say!

Yesterday I got invited for a job interview, this Thursday, so now I have to dash around trying to prepare for that as well as get on with the draft thesis ready to hand that in in three weeks. Yikes, nowhere near enough time! First set of goals for today:
1.) Write breakdown of main points in each thesis chapter
2.) Research and write missing paragraphs for Background chapter

S

Thank you Natassia, everything got sorted with the article and it has now been submitted. Finally!

Hi Batfink! I'm glad to hear your presentation went well and that you have a job interview. They're not giving you much time to prepare, are they? I hope you get it :)

I'm back working on my revisions now. I was working on my methodology chapter before so will get back to it. It's been so long I can't even remember what I'm up to. I'll have a quick look at what's been done, what's missing and will probably make a plan of action, something that I haven't done yet and really need to for this chapter.

Have a productive day everyone!

L

Hi everybody,

Hope you are all well this morning, good luck for your job interview Batfink, I hope you get it too, and glad you had a good conference! I also hope everyone got their bits and pieces finished yesterday! I finished my list of corrections so I'm just going to go through the chapter one more time to check for any obvious spelling/grammar etc then I'll print and go over it on paper. Am I the only person who finds paper much easier to proof on? I hate wasting paper but I find that I miss things if they're on a screen so I usually print a copy (double sided, 2 pages to a side) to proof!

Anyway, hope you are all having an excellent day!

S

Hello all

I'm planning on having a relatively chilled day as progress is almost coming to a hault. Just going to do some reading and add any new info to the methodology chapter I think.

Have a good day everyone!

Hi all, hope you're all having a productive day!

Skig, a chilled day sounds like just the thing! And Linda, I agree about paper copies for proofing, it's the only way to go. My eyes just seem to skip over mistakes on the screeen.

Thanks both of you for best wishes for the interview! I've been preparing today, and I'm sure it'll go okay. I'm not very hopeful of getting the job, though; it's not really my discipline although it is my field of interest. We'll see, it'll be good interview experience at least!

Anyway, apart from writing up notes after a meeting with my supervisors this morning, I've mainly been focusing on job interview preparation today. I need to write a page about my research problem for my background chapter and I think that could be a useful thing for my preparation so Im going to focus on that for now. I also want to write a little statement about my methodology, which will be useful for the interview and for when I look at rewriting that chapter in a few days' time.

B

Hi everyone,

Skig, I agree with Batfink, taking a chilled day and thinking is the right thing for you. Linda, I usually stock up ink cartridge and printing papers. I like to scan documents on the screen to pick up the pages I need to read, then print them out to read and proof on. Batfink, congratulations to your good conference experience, and good luck with your interview this week.

I need to read a paper to prepare the meeting with my sup this afternoon. Without a good sleep last night, I am tired and fretful. Hope I can focus on this paper for a couple of hour before driving to school.

Wish everyone a productive day.