Unemployed postdoc

D

Yeah I totally agree it's a pain! I find the problem is that even for a post-doc these days sometimes in the desirable qualities bit they want you to have done one already which is impossible if you're looking for your 1st one! There has been very few few postdocs in my field too which is a big problem! I keep getting told that it's not a good time to be finishing anything and looking for a job though one supervisor said to hang in there which is probably the nicest thing they have ever said to me! They also mentioned that they finished in similar economic conditions! I don't have any publications which makes it even harder though I am working on this at the moment.

Good luck to all job hunting too! It's a hard slog! (up)

T

Yep job hunting is a hard slog!! I have 2 interviews tomorrow and will be completely drained by the end of the day. One is a researcher post, the other is a retail position which would be good to pay the bills.

Think i would relax a bit more if I had a job just to bring in money and then could just apply for jobs that really interests me and could afford to be more selective. I think what is scaring me is that i just dont know how long this unemployment limbo will last. Savings cant last forever. But at least my partner works. I also think having a job to get up for and out of the house would be good for my mental health even if its not what i really want to do. I could carry on writing my research papers to help my science career.

C

Good luck treefrog! :)

D

Good luck from me too

T

Well I have managed to bag myself a part time retail job. Its 20 hours plus and it will pay my half of the rent. Though its a bit of a come don in salary, well a massive one but its a job. I am grateful for it especially in this job market. I am still continuing to interview though even though I have accepted it as i really need a full time job. Thought i would be stupid not to take the offer incase nothing else comes off.

Will find out about the research post monday/tuesday. fingercrossed!!

T

Hello People,

I have woken up feeling sad today. I am on my own this weekend as my partner is away so I thought I would use the forum to express myself. I know I should be be happy i got myself a part time job but I am just thinking this is not how I planned my career to be. I just wonder how this has happened. I think I am starting to annoy my partner as i have not been really happy for the past few months but they have not gone to uni or done a PhD and I think was all my hard work worth it.

I know i should look on my part time job as a stop gap that will give me more experience and get me out the house but I just feel sad and stressed.

Any words of wisdom??

xx

H

It's understandable that you feel sad. It must be very frustrating to be in this position when you've worked so hard and it feels like it's beyond your control. I do think it's good that you've accepted the retail job though, as at least if you have something structured to do with your time, and the freedom from money worries it might relieve some of the stress.

I hope that you find the kind of job you want soon.

C

It's ok to feel sad. I feel sad too, a lot of the time. I tried for retail jobs before the Christmas period, had one interview and didn't get the job. Now, there's pretty much none available where I live so it's not really an option anymore. Had another rejection for a science job the other day. I'm seriously rubbish at interviews :-(

Sometimes I resent having done this PhD - but sometimes I'm a bit proud of myself too :-)

T

I think its cos I am on my own this weekend I am dwelling on things. All my mates are busy this weekend so its just me the telly and Mr pinot grigio and eurovision. I think i am becoming too fond of mr pinot grigio.

Sometimes i do think having a phd on ur cv is like a blackmark against you. Who knows how people with criminal records get jobs. But if there is no science jobs for example available what else do u do?? At one interview they said they were surprised someone like me applied. Great!!!

Hang in there!! A lot of the time its how well u gel with the interviewer and whether they believe u that u will not leave.

I hate interviews though! I always think why did i say that. And it was weird having a non-science interview. waiting for the outcome is horrible too!

H

Quote From Treefrog:

I think its cos I am on my own this weekend I am dwelling on things. All my mates are busy this weekend so its just me the telly and Mr pinot grigio and eurovision.

Do try to get out and about, even if just to the cinema. I say this as one who ruminates too much. Times like this it's good to do things that get you out of your own head (not in a trippy kind of way ;) ) Turn it from being a negative scenario into a positive one by indulging yourself and doing things that maybe interest you more than they would your friends.

C

You've inspired me to apply for a Saturday job at Primark. We'll see what happens! :-)

T

Good luck Claudia!! You have to be in it to win it! Would be good to get yourself out the house. How long have you been looking for?

Your right Hazyjane, will go for a walk along the river. I may treat myself to a good book to read and some ice cream. Have applied for a postdoc position this morning so will give myself the weekend off.

This weekend can be a me weekend!!:-)

J

Just sending sympathies, really, to guys on job search, especially to you Treefrog and Claudia.
Go get that ice cream and river walk!

C

I started in August, which is when I submitted my thesis. I passed my viva in November, and after finishing my corrections etc. I started voluntary work in January in the same research group where I did my PhD. So at least I'm getting out of the house - I'm just not getting paid for it :p

T

Thanks JJJ!!

Well its good you are still involved with your previous group. Still making yourself know could lead to a paid job! Its good to chat to people that can really relate and not just get pity looks from people that still have jobs.