Unemployed postdoc

T

Well I have rejected the call centre! Took the cowards way out and emailed!! Could not be fussed with anyone being arsey!

I feel relieved to be honest, a couple of weeks ago i would have killed for tha job, any job. After a discussion with my partner who said i would not be happy there (he had call centre experience) and we can manage on his wage and me being part time in an opticians i made my decision.

The call centre was very strict on time keeping and went through a large number of people which made me worry. I googled them and if they loose contracts they make everyone redundant. One of the shifts was 1 till 9 in some weeks and its open seven days aweek. At least with my part time job on the high street it shuts at 5.30!!

Well neeed to focus on post doc interview next week!! Come on!! Sorry for the ramble, I am just clearing things in my mind. I dont want to seem unhappy about getting jobs in a recession. But i know a call centre is not for me. If i had nothing else i would have took it.

J

Very happy for you Treefrog. I think you made the right decision!
Goodluck with the post-doc interview, and with the high street job!

C

I worked in a call-centre for six months after my MA and I can say that it took its toll on my mental health! Right decision not to take it on treefrog!

A

Hi Treefrog
I think you made a wise choice as well.  An employer with a high turnover of staff in the current economic climate is clearly doing something wrong.
Angelette

T

Yeah I think i made the right decision. It really helped to chat to my partner about it and look at our financial situation. Hopefully if i dont get the post doc then i will get more hours at the opticians, its 20 plus so will allow me to look at other things too. But we can manage on just 20 hours. Did not want to get myself in a situation where i dreaded going to work, thats no quality of life and that would have happened at the call centre. I would be trapped in a dead end job.

Have my time table for the interview, am starting to get nervous!!

T

Hello People,

Just though i would post an update. Well my interview went well and got good feedback and they thouht i would do a good job but their was some one with more relevant experience (apparently a former colleague applied from that lab).I am disappointed I did my very best. But what can you do.

I had my first day in retail yesterday (day off today) I was ok but its not want i want to do. It pays the bills but i just kept thinking how did it come to this. I keep telling yself its only a stop gap and something will come up. I keep thinking i hope no one from my lab comes in and see's me. I know i should be pleased i have a job but my panic from lack of a job has went to sadness of not being able to do what i want to do. I feel like a failure.

Any words of wisdom?
:-(

C

======= Date Modified 07 Jun 2011 12:46:33 =======
Bon courage!

I am currently working in a part-time job outside of academia alongside some of my former students. Indeed, I am still supervising one of their dissertations (bit-piece work carried over from the end of my teaching contract). That feels rough. I too often reflect on how it came to this. One can just keep going, applying for things on a forward trajectory. Perhaps trying other new things even if they are not academia.

Something will turn up! I'm currently considering just leaving the country and teaching English abroad.

D

I know how you feel as I'm currently in a similar position looking for a job in academia wondering if I'll ever get one!  It's demoralising putting all that effort into our PhDs and then having nothing to show for it!  I'm still hoping to get one but it may take some time!  My supervisor's and other academics' words of wisdom are to hang in there and be prepared to travel though not possible for all! Another idea is to get as relevant experience (which you have) and contacts as possible as networking is very important as shown by the person who got the job! It's very competitive and even more so at the moment due to the current economic conditions!  There's probably more chance of winning the lottery at the moment which would give you funds to do research if you still wanted to! 

Hope this helps though probably no new words of wisdom but just to let you know we are stuck in the same boat so you are not alone! 

;-)

S

Hi Treefrog,
Was just reading your latest update and I'm really sorry to hear that the retail job is getting you down. I just wanted to add to the other posts to let you know that I'm also STILL in the same boat as you! Went for an interview for a really interesting post-doc position yesterday - went so so but would be very surprised if I get it as up against a lot of other candidates. I've never been the most confident of people but being unemployed has hugely magnified my inferiority complex. I'm doing some voluntary work to get me out of the house but like you I'm just a bit fed up with the whole situation - it has even driven me to mass lottery ticket purchasing (as mentioned by another poster!) and will soon drive me to drink!
Really hope things start to improve for you and all my other fellow job-hunters.

T

Thanks for all the supportive posts!!!

I finally have some good news to report. My old boss rang me to tell me he has secured 3 months worth of funding in association with a biotech company for some part time work in the lab. He offered my first refusal. Its only 15 hours a week so can fit round my retail job and has the benefit of getting me back in the lab. Will its involved in working with a number of organisms and may make good contacts with the company. I am pleased as will not have too big a gap in cv and will find out about another grant in november. The work i do on this project may lead to more.

I have also got 2 papers submitted this month in good journals. Maybe my luck is starting to turn. Sending positive vibes to all!!

I have also bought a lotto ticket for tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

Well done Treefrog! I'm very pleased to hear the news. Must be a relief. Imagine those moments when we didn't know how things would turn out.

I'm really happy to hear a positive news, gives us hope :-) There's light at the end of the tunnel, indeed. Savor the moment!

D

Fantastic! I hope this all works out for you and that things continue to improve.

B

Quote From Treefrog:

Thanks for all the supportive posts!!!

I finally have some good news to report. My old boss rang me to tell me he has secured 3 months worth of funding in association with a biotech company for some part time work in the lab. He offered my first refusal. Its only 15 hours a week so can fit round my retail job and has the benefit of getting me back in the lab. Will its involved in working with a number of organisms and may make good contacts with the company. I am pleased as will not have too big a gap in cv and will find out about another grant in november. The work i do on this project may lead to more.

Great news!

I have also got 2 papers submitted this month in good journals. Maybe my luck is starting to turn. Sending positive vibes to all!!

I have also bought a lotto ticket for tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

Brilliant news Treefrog -really pleased for you!!!

C

cONGRATULATIONS!