Unproductive day!

E

As the title suggests, I've had a very unproductive day managing to only open my data set (which made my computer crash) and order a few Christmas presents (mostly for myself). Just wanted to make myself feel a bit better by seeing if anyone else was having a similar issue!

I had an OK day today (not great) but yesterday was a disaster. I had many problematica technica - some of which Wal helped me out with, but my computer also crashed. Its so annoying and halts any work or feelings of work!

I am also caught in the trap of online present shopping! I literally have to tear myself away from firebox.com!

E

That's exactly what I've been on! I'm having to convince myself that my lack of productivity isn't because I don't have a giant gummy bear. Glad someone else is prematurely getting into the festive spirit...!

I tell myself its better to order now than let the postal strikes dictate my life. My OH's bday is also in December. I really want that gummy bear!!! and the double slanket - although probably too tempting to sit in it while doing PhD work :$

W

I have had a horrible, horrible day so far. I'm stuck and I'm fed up and in quit mode. I really do wonder what the point of it all is sometimes. I've got less than a year, everything to do, can't seem to write the discussion for a paper I have to try and get published. I don't mean to sound negative, but I've had it up to my ear lobes. Remind me: when is it that we're supposed to find this enjoyable again?

I took a break at 2 and went to play frisbee with my dog which livened me up no end. Have you tried to take a break Wal - and a REAL break. (not staring at firebox.com, here or other computer realted things). I find all too often that my breaks are just me sat at my desk doing different work, but still work/similar to work.

You could be really desparate and come on to my accountability thread Wal!

C

i rolled into uni at 1.30, photocopied something. Checked my email, made one phonecall and sat listening to 7 undergraduates givin presentations on boring topics nothing to do with my PhD. I'd say that it's been pretty unproductive (though the phonecall was quite important...but seeing at it lasted about 2 mins, that is 2 mins of work on my PhD today!)

Oh and not even thinking about christmas shopping til the 20th.

W

Thank you, Sneaks. I think I may have to join your accountability thread. I'm going to have some tea shortly and take my dog for a walk - bit of fresh air may do some good.

B

Done nothing useful either, but that's more due to the neurological illness, and huge trouble thinking, and using my limbs at the moment. I was relieved enough to manage an hour or so late yesterday afternoon. I'm creeping towards my absolute deadline of March 2010, but I'll get there.

Nice to hear I'm not the only fan of Firebox. I bought a View-Master from them the other day, and a ducky bath radio. And I want to buy a Sesame Street Ernie, if he ever comes back into stock!

i don;t know how you do it bilbo - you must take the place upon the PGF podium for best PhD researcher! Also - I used to have one of those viewmaster things - I used to be really scared of one with thomas the tank engine in cos his shed was on fire in it! - it really freaked me out!

Wal - what kinda dog you got?

T

I wasn't utterly unproductive, but then the universe slapped me in the face with a rejected paper anyway :-( so I'm feeling a little of your this pain. And Walminksi, I know it's hard to believe when immersed in a tepid bath of despair, but you really will have good days again, promise.
I completely have the online shopping bug; that gummy bear sounds amazing! Today I also (courtesy of facebook ads) ordered myself a free "graze" box, Friday will now equal free nibbles!
I wish I had a dog like some of you, I had to give mine up a few years back and I still miss her like crazy.

And yes, come over and join us at sneaks thread anyone who wants to be accountable, my patter has been rubbish today so it could do with livening up before sneaks dies of boredom.

B

Hope you enjoy your Graze box Teek. I've had a couple of them, and they stuffed up once (took 4 days to arrive, and the pineapple inside was fermenting by the time it did) so I got another free one as compensation! I'm currently nibbling my way through it very very slowly.

B

======= Date Modified 24 Nov 2009 17:04:42 =======
Thanks for the kind words Sneaks. I had a ViewMaster when I was young too, and it looked just like the retro design one I've just bought. Same colour even too (red).

W

Do you ever feel so knackered and run down with life issues that you just cant even look at a book or your word doc? Thats me today. I'm going for a swim and maybe do some work tonight but an even worse dilemma has occurred: I have forced myself through the melancholy of the first 100 pages of Crime and Punishment and now that 'its' happened I can't put it down.... Suggestions?

E

Ah thanks for all the replies guys, I'm feeling better, or at least a little bit less guilty. Although I'm also feeling like I need to get a dog and do some more firebox shopping!

Sneaks is right about the breaks, whenever I'm feeling awful about work getting out of my office and not thinking about it at all for a while is normally enough to get me back on track. Think that was my problem today - the rain deterred me from leaving the slightly breezy but dry confines of my office! I have no excuse tomorrow as I have for some reason decided to not only start a postgrad society, but also to provide free homemade lunch for everyone as our first event...I think voluntarily making sandwiches for 20 people is procrastination of the highest level!

WuTownVillain - I haven't read Crime and Punishment but have had the slightly less cultured issue of Six Feet Under...Once I've watched one episode that's me done for the day, as I have to watch the whole damn series!

I'm thinking Thursday will be the magic day though. I have high hopes for my literature review that day...for some reason.