Unproductive day!

Definitely the most unproductive day so far. Although I've been at my desk since 12pm, I've had a terrible headache all day so haven't been able to do anything. The only reason I haven't gone home yet is because it hurts too much to move :-(

S

======= Date Modified 25 Nov 2009 20:46:49 =======

Quote From catalinbond:

i rolled into uni at 1.30, photocopied something. Checked my email, made one phonecall and sat listening to 7 undergraduates giving presentations on boring topics nothing to do with my PhD. I'd say that it's been pretty unproductive (though the phonecall was quite important...but seeing at it lasted about 2 mins, that is 2 mins of work on my PhD today!)

Catalin, ignore the comments made by the troll. Having more guilt and negativity piled on top of you won't make you feel better, and guilt can be really demotivating. Concentrate on starting a new day, with a list, and crossing some things off. Keep going, little steps! Unlike the troll who obviously never has unproductive days and is a perfect worker, lots of us have less productive days occasionally. I actually think these serve a purpose, as doing a PhD is so time and energy intensive that it's really hard to make every day really productive and we need some down time. Have been thinking that with most jobs I've done, about 20% is really hard brain work, 60% is usual, run of the mill stuff, and 20% is menial tasks. I find that doing a PhD is 90% hard stuff, 10% menial. What a balance!

So, accept that occasionally there will be unproductive times, and other times you'll be motivated and energised.

C

Lazy, lazy students encouraging other lazy, lazy students.

shouldn't you be working clogs?

C

Probably. Thought I'd sneak in a comment before the next set of pomodoros!

careful now - don't want to hurt yourself on those things!

S

Quote From cleverclogs:

Lazy, lazy students encouraging other lazy, lazy students.

On the contrary. I just had my annual performance review yesterday, and was praised as being a 'model student'. Not that I need to justify myself to you, but I have an impressive academic cv, which includes an extensive list of presentations and a good few publications, and am progressing well with writing up. I just happen to understand how people work and have empathy, a trait you seem to lack. And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

P

======= Date Modified 25 Nov 2009 20:59:41 =======
To follow Sue, I had a spectacular panel yesterday, with stupendous praise and appreciation at the reception that followed. I did my second last day of rich fieldwork today and was told by my supervisor that I am a 'delight to teach' with three reasons that she provided for saying so.

And tomorrow, more fieldwork.

This balances days when I crash, feel like my life's a mess with the fatigue and the hard work, and when I make even less progress than a productive phone call.

Why dont you use your clever clogs and continue the story on the story thread to which Sneaks has made such a delightful contribution recently?

Cheers.

S

======= Date Modified 26 Nov 2009 02:39:46 =======
Woo! 9 episodes of Dexter and a football match. This has been my most unproductive non-hungover day so far. Thing is, I kinda stopped myself doing anything today because I had a long list of things to do and failed to think of a way to do all of them....so did none of them.

Possibly the best proof available that people on PhDs aren't necessarily smart.

Also, just to add, did think of something fucking clever in the shower today (related to my work.) So it may not have been entirely wasted.

O

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php

If you need a reason to not be productive today :P its a holiday in other places!

I am being marginally productive, with a few tasks, but not pushing myself hard.