Users of Mytomatoes/the Pomodoro technique...

M

Well, like has been said somewhere here before, 10 tomatoes doesn't sound an awful lot when you convert it to 5 hours of work time, but I tend to find I work in a much more focused way with tomato pressure :p than without it, so it probably equates to a good 6/7 hours worth of 'work' on days when I don't use it. Also (and what I find a little annoying about it) is that my amount of tomatoes doesn't always reflect the actual time I've worked, because sometimes I let the tomato run on (if you know what I mean) til a task is finished, and it still only counts it as 1 tomato, even though I've gone way beyond the 25mins. It would be nice to be able to manually manipulate it sometimes to get a better overview of the time I've actually done. I try to aim for 10 (easy done but hoping I'll do more), and then feel super proud about anything above 10. Bit of a little psychological game I play with myself ;-)

S

I am back on the tomatoes today! Trying to write so aiming for 12 today!

I normally go for 10 but I am a terrible procrastinator and take longer than 5 minutes often! But today I am going to really try not to and to get at least 12 done!

Anyone else tomatoing today? :)

S

I am!! I only found about them since I joined this thread not long ago but I am hooked!! It doesn't just helps me to keep going forward but it's great that you can look back and see how much you've achieved (hm, or not achieved on some days)... I aim for about 10 a day but I don't worry if I don't get that many, I focus more on the work itself... I sometimes overran on them so it wouldn't be fair on myself...

D

This technique is FABULOUS! Now I'm using it at work. I wish I had heard of it years ago!

P

Has anyone else had trouble with this recently? I haven't been able to use it in months, it keeps crashing on me!

B

It's fine with my computer purpleflower :S

D

Quote From purpleflower:

Has anyone else had trouble with this recently? I haven't been able to use it in months, it keeps crashing on me!

Could be too much "junk" on your computer, and you need to delete unwanted cookies, temp files, empty recycle bin, etc.

W

Mine is still working ok (after testing when reading this thread).

I have found that after using the 'tomato' for a while I am now able to gauge my time to work in chunks without needing to set the timer going.

I now set myself a minimum time in my head (not more than 35 minutes and less if I am tired or stressed) and must work up to that - much of the time I am busy and the time goes by before I see the clock and then it is like "oh good i can have a break now" rather than "when is the next break".
So the tomato/pomodoro method has taught me focus for a good length of time.

If you are having problems delete it on your system and reload it from the original website with their latest version. Sometimes system updates can mess things up.

P

Will try that, thanks :)

M

======= Date Modified 14 Apr 2012 18:15:09 =======
There's also free Pomodoro apps for mobile phones now as an alternative should you not be able to get the Internet one working again. Handy for those reading or writing sessions in random cafes around town!

A

This is amazing! Can't believe I haven't found this before!