Warwick Unviversity MA Social Work

L

Hello again! Thanks for the advice. It's just a nail biting time at the moment. I've just had an email from Admissions, who have said that everything has been forwarded to the programme leader who will be in touch with me 'if' I get through to interview. I didn't htink they'd leave it so late! So, can I ask; what makes you want to do social work? What is it specifically? I just want to make sure I'm not gonna sound like an idiot in the interview!!

K

Hi Just got back from holiday. Thats really good about the fees! Can't believe how muchc money we will save not having to pay them.

Good luck, I'm sure you will get an interview. I think social work is about providing people with the opportunity to improve their lives that kind of thing.

R

Hi, I think it’s the same as Katie. In all of my interviews i was asked 'what does social work mean to you?' so it might be best to come up with a more individualised answer. Common themes between interviews were social exclusion, oppression and disabilities.

There is an undergraduate open day at Warwick on the 28th. I’ve booked myself on it as I’m desperate to have a good look around the campus. You can choose which bits of the campus you want to see…. I’m sad and have booked a library tour! ha ha

L

I think I'll be ok when I get to interview, it's just the actual waiting to see if I'll get one. I'm starting to get really concerned that they've forgotten about me or something!! I got a reply from postgraduate admissions not long ago who said that my paprerwork had been sent to the head of social work and he would contact me directly IF I get through to interview! Is it customary for it to take this long?

K

Hi. Have you found out whether you got an interview yet? This masters is costing me loads already. Just sent back the CRB with the cheque for that and had to send off for new GCSE certificates which cost me £60! So much money and we haven't even started yet. Hope everyone is ok.

K

I was suprised we had to pay for our CRB!

I need to really start looking into loans now cause it wont be long before we start!!

is it this week your going to the undergraduate open day?

K

No I completely forgot about the open day. I need to look around the halls though and they would probably only show you the undergraduate ones. Are you going to it?

K

i was hoping to go yes. I will probably stay at home though so the halls aren't as vital to me.

there are a couple of wednesday afternoon when you can look round. I will have a look on the website and see when they were.
see if there is one when we could both go, meet up?

K

The best i can find are these campus tours, the next open day is in september!

CAMPUS TOUR.
Tours will depart at 2pm from University House on the following Wednesdays:
2nd May 2007 9th May 2007 16th May 2007
23rd May 2007 30th May 2007 6th June 2007
13th june 2007 20th June 2007 27th June 2007

These dont seem to cover halls though.

R

I'm going to the open day this Saturday. There was a halls tour you could take but I’m not sure which ones they take you around. They all look very expensive!

the loan prospects doesn’t look very good. I never thought we wouldn’t be eligible for a CDL. I don’t know if you have checked but the bursary forms are out on the 1st May.

K

or there are these 'Warwick Visits' on the 11th July or 21st July

What Warwick Visits include:
An introduction to what the University has to offer both academically and socially through a short presentation by a member of our Recruitment and Admissions team.
A chance to speak to a member of our Recruitment and Admissions team in small friendly groups.
An opportunity to meet current students and ask them about what life is really like at Warwick.
A Campus Tour lead by a Student Ambassador including a taste of some typical accommodation options

K

I was just looking at that open day but they are not taking anymore bookings!

i was suprised by the CDL, it seems postgraduate students dont get the same finical support as undergraduate which doesn't see fair to me!

R

From what I’ve read on the bursary website we as postgraduates are entitled to more of a ‘maintenance grant’. Still have no idea how much it will be though. I don’t really see what the problem is with banks and the CDLs for social work. If we are willing to pay them back, I don’t see why we shouldn’t get them.

K

I know, its not very helpful!
People are always encouraging futher study and telling us we should avoid having a part time job whilst studying but they dont make it easy!!

K

Do you think you will need to take out extra loans then? Are you eligible for the income assessed grant as well? I think I am. Working in a college at the moment, so would only be able to go on a campus tour during half term -May 30th. Is that any good for you?