Will you call youself Dr?

L

Just curious how people feel about using the title of Dr? Some people I know think it is very pretentious, but right now (as I am struggling to finish up), I kinda think we have the right to be proud of our achievement. What do you think?

B

I don't call myself doctor. Partly because as a waiter its something people will take the piss out of. Regardless of this, I am also aware of the rejoinder that most people say "Oh, a PhD then you are not a real doctor then." (Second only in irritation to those that say "Whats the point of studying that?" with regard to a subject that has no immediate application)

But beyond that I do feel its something that is putting on "airs and graces". I am secure in what I am and so don't need to flash a title around. I always felt scorn towards those academics who had to be addressed by their title otherwise felt slighted. Get a grip!

L

Erm, thanks, but I have a very firm grip.

S

i've heard that it is actually a gendered thing (would be interesting to look at actual studies of this). women more often "don't need" the title, insist less on it, and are less often called by it (orally or in writing), than men. therefore, people tend to "forget" about women's titles. it is perhaps similar to women "knowing that they are doing a good job" and waiting for that promotion, whereas men tend to go talk to the HR people, point out their achievements, and ask for the promotion (this is of course terribly simplified). i guess in that sense it has got to do with assertiveness. while i agree with you badhaircut, that i don't need the title to know who i am, i suppose it would be silly to cut down my own competitiveness by "dropping" the title in circumstances where other people highlight it.
well, first i need to get one anyway!

A

I use my title but certainly don't insist on it. It's certainly nothing to be ashamed of and it's not like we haven't earned it! It's an academic title and as I work in academia, I think it's appropriate. As for people saying that you're not a 'proper doctor' because you're not a medical doctor, you might want to point out that you are because you have a doctoral degree, whereas a medical doctor is called a doctor as an honorary title (ok, most of them will do a higher doctoral degree later in their medical careers but you don't have to add that bit, hehe).

L

I don't think it is about flashing titles around. I am getting into the first year of my phd, it is hard work and it will get harder as the months roll on, I am skint, I am stressed...and while you can say that i chose to do this (as I did), i will also chose to have my title. If I feel i deserve it, why not? I don't expect people to treat me differently because of the title, but i will not renounce to something i have earned and worked hard for!

S

Hell yeah! My hubby doesn't use his, but personally I'm even going to have a little badge made up that says 'I am a dr' so everyone knows

P

I definately am when the time comes. I will use it and abuse it.

P

...infact I am going to write " I AM A DR" on my eyelids and blink furiously at people

P

Ha ha, pea! Love the eyelid idea.

J

Well, as I read lr261's message, he/she didn't say they were going to "insist" on it, they were just curious what other people thought. So, Badhaircut, I think your reply was very rude. Get a grip yourself.

For my opinion, it's a professional title which has been earned so I think you may as well use it in professional situations (and I'd also put in on my credit cards too).

S

i plan to have all my credit cards etc changes so Dr is there.. too much hard work not too i will be proud of my title!!!! ive evn told my boyf when im a Mrs my cards are going to still say Dr...!

B

I do think we should be very proud of our achievements, but do not necessarily relate this with the bestowing of ourselves with a title. My intention was not to be rude, but to ask a fundamental question

"What does calling yourself "Doctor" actually mean to you?".

I personally am egalitarian, and try not to distinguish myself above others, which I feel is the raison d'etre of any title (be it Doctor, Captain, Lord, etc). Why should say a PhD or MD get to call themselves a special title (even in "civilian life")whereas other professions do not despite having similar level qualifications (e.g. accountants, architects etc).

B

If as Bernard Shaw said "All professions are a conspiracy against the laity" the adoption of a special title is the final entrenchment of this sentiment. Especially more so outside the arena of your place of work. Sure write your credentials when you write your academic papers, but honestly is it worth trying to impress various waiters and airline staff (who quite frankly dont give a sh*t, unless you have skills for a medical emergency that may happen on their watch).

The adoption of a title outside the sphere of work is quite divisive, like it or not. You are bringing attention to something that is supposed to elevate you in the eyes of whomever you are addressing. Sometimes citing credentials are appropriate, say when you are in court citing your expertise or when publishing. Not at cocktail parties or at the bank.

S

i wouldnt do it to get other people to notice its for me because then when i see it i will be reminded of the reason for all this hard work and stress.